BSL w/ Rose comb (Poultry Showing question)

Sleek28

Songster
Apr 5, 2018
Hey y’all!
I️ have a BSL with a rose comb that I️ got from the feed store this year. I️ figure her mom was probably a Dominique. I am planning in showing some birds at the NNPFA Competition in October and am trying to figure out who to show. Her name is Olive and she is one of my most stunning chickens I️ just don’t know what the requirements are.
Thanks in Advance!

B7A669A6-A143-408F-A911-123396ABB535.jpeg
AEAEF922-2344-47EE-BA0C-F9F88C6A6B86.jpeg
CB04B18D-67AD-43F1-8723-B107ADE6682A.jpeg
E09AE822-BF12-4760-B87D-DBECAAA8D95D.jpeg

Also would she be disqualified for the coloring and shape of her comb?

Do you have an purebred birds to show? Black sexlinks aren’t a breed. I’ve never seen one with a rose comb, but it doesn’t matter, as a crossbreed they can’t be shown.
They might be small or off-colored, but have you considered showing turkeys?
I’d look to see if that show requires flock testing before planning to show. You can get somebody to test your flock, but if you are only showing one bird it might not be worth it.

Do you have an purebred birds to show? Black sexlinks aren’t a breed. I’ve never seen one with a rose comb, but it doesn’t matter, as a crossbreed they can’t be shown.
They might be small or off-colored, but have you considered showing turkeys?
I’d look to see if that show requires flock testing before planning to show. You can get somebody to test your flock, but if you are only showing one bird it might not be worth it.
Ah ok, thank you! I️ didn’t know BSL were inbred. We had to put down our Tom of 4 years a month ago due to wound. Yesterday a predator attacked our last Tom and when we found him he was beyond saving so we had to cull him. It also killed my beautiful Crested Duck last week that I️ was going to show. I️ was thinking about showing my Pekin or Cayuga but she is very small compared to others. Is there a website where I️ can find all the requirements and breed standards?

Ah ok, thank you! I️ didn’t know BSL were inbred. We had to put down our Tom of 4 years a month ago due to wound. Yesterday a predator attacked our last Tom and when we found him he was beyond saving so we had to cull him. It also killed my beautiful Crested Duck last week that I️ was going to show. I️ was thinking about showing my Pekin or Cayuga but she is very small compared to others. Is there a website where I️ can find all the requirements and breed standards?
The American Standard of Perfection costs 60 dollars and isn’t online but you could always borrow it from the library. Or you can compare you birds to the Australian open standards and say “close enough.” http://www.openpoultrystandards.com/Main_Page Obviously there are differences from our SOP but if it is your first time showing, it’s an ok source. I would recommend checking out the SOP. And if the show world takes your fancy, definitely purchase one.

Last edited:
The American Standard of Perfection costs 60 dollars and isn’t online but you could always borrow it from the library. Or you can compare you birds to the Australian open standards and say “close enough.” http://www.openpoultrystandards.com/Main_Page Obviously there are differences from our SOP but if it is your first time showing, it’s an ok source. I would recommend checking out the SOP. And if the show world takes your fancy, definitely purchase one.
Right on, Thank you! I️ have been trying to get into showing for awhile now so I️ really hope it’s for me. I’ll see if my local library has SOP. If not then I️ can see if one of my neighbors has it.

Right on, Thank you! I️ have been trying to get into showing for awhile now so I️ really hope it’s for me. I’ll see if my local library has SOP. If not then I️ can see if one of my neighbors has it.
If you’re interested, when you get to the show you should talk to some breeders with breeds that interest you. Maybe you’ll end up with a few birds! The way I got my start was hatchery birds until I found birds that interested me and then bought quality from breeders.

Back
Top Bottom