Bubble Cloner DIY plant propagation

Compost King

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
Salisbury, North Carolina
Using 2 sets of tubs and lids I made this device for propagating plants, I can do this by both seeds and cuttings. The real reason why I am doing this is to increase success rates on my pepper cuttings. One of my pepper plants is a hybrid so cuttings are the best way to propagate a hybrid plant.

photo_2020-09-22_18-31-35.jpg

photo_2020-09-22_18-31-39.jpg

Above are the 2 tubs (you might notice I switched clear tubs from one with a black lid to one with a white lid. Not that I did it due to the color but the first clear tub I bought ended up being cracked.

Below is the growing medium and hole saw to fit its size.
photo_2020-09-22_18-31-41.jpg

photo_2020-09-24_21-44-46.jpg

Above, I am partially complete with the holes I am drilling in the bottom tubs lid. The growing medium will fit snuggly in the holes. If you look inside the grey tub there is an airstone. I forgot to take a good picture of that. You can see tubing and such also I actually had more parts than I needed because I wasn't sure how I would fit everything. I was dealing with multiple tube sizes and fittings. When I bought the pump, airstone, and fittings online I assumed everything would be the same size as pet store aquarium pumps and tubing.

Below I finished drilling the holes and attached the clear tubs lid to the grey lid with the middle cut out.
photo_2020-09-25_04-38-26.jpg
photo_2020-09-25_04-38-30.jpg

Above is the everything assembled except the pump and tubing. This was back in September and I put it all away for about 5 weeks and finished building the greenhouse that I keep this bubble cloner in.

Below is the air pump mounted to the back (north) wall of the Greenhouse.
IMG_7447.JPG

IMG_7448.JPG

above is the air tubing going into the bottom basin tub where it is connected to the airstone.

below is where I placed the first cutting. It's tomato plant and this set up is over kill for tomatoes. Tomatoes propagate in a jar full of still water. I am just testing it now and I had a tomato plant in the greenhouse with height issues and I needed to cut it back.
IMG_7450.JPG
IMG_7451.JPG

above, to do a cutting I start with a big leafy sprig.

below, I cut back the leaves significantly so the plant puts more energy into the rooting.
IMG_7452.JPG
IMG_7453.JPG

Above I cover the stem end with rooting hormone after I dip it in water.

Below I insert the sprig into rooting medium.
IMG_7456.JPG
IMG_7457.JPG

Above and Below, I start filling in the holes.

IMG_7461.JPG
IMG_7460.JPG

I put the top tub on, it locks right into the lid i fixed to the other lid. now I have a humidity dome. A greenhouse inside of my greenhouse. Temps get too high in there so placed 2 sunflower plants on the south side of the bubble cloner in an attempt to keep temps down. I will likely need to add a closable vent.

Now onto my next project, an emergency brooder heated by compost.

I lifted up the lid on the water tank to show a couple of pictures. The industrial size air pump, air hose and air stone seems to really improve this. I have built a few of these in the past with less impressive equipment.

The plugs (growing medium) sit about 2 inches above the water, maybe 3 or 4.. never measured it. They receive moisture from the bubbles reaching the surface and putting a mist into the air. The larger bubbles and increased air flow seems to be working out great.
IMG_7468 2.JPG
IMG_7469 2.JPG

I dug up several pepper plants from my garden and brought them inside to save them from the winter. I will keep them under lights. I've never cloned pepper plants before. I've never even considered it. I have had plenty of success cloning tomatoes and basil, though, so I think I will try it. Pepper plants are always so finicky for me here in Wisconsin and my basil and tomato clones are always much stronger than the parent plants. Thank you for the inspiration!

I dug up several pepper plants from my garden and brought them inside to save them from the winter. I will keep them under lights. I've never cloned pepper plants before. I've never even considered it. I have had plenty of success cloning tomatoes and basil, though, so I think I will try it. Pepper plants are always so finicky for me here in Wisconsin and my basil and tomato clones are always much stronger than the parent plants. Thank you for the inspiration!
Much like germinating seeds, peppers take longer to root than other plants that get cloned. Its the whole reason why I made this bubble cloner, I believe it will increase the chances of survival. I also have a very strong pump and can make hydroponic buckets by splicing into the air line. I prefer soil growing but sometimes I get bored and tinker.

Back
Top Bottom