Bubbles in eye?

Zoochick999

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2023
We have a group of 3 hens, I noticed today one of them has bubbles on one of their eyes. I don’t see any abnormal behavior and it seems to be acting normal as usual. This Rhode island is the alpha of the flock so maybe it’s an injury? None of the others seem sick and lay almost every day. This one hasn’t been as good of a layer but we just got an egg from her yesterday. She seems to be a healthy weight and not super light. Maybe something got in her eye? Any input? Thinking of washing it out with water and seeing what happens. She moves a lot so it was hard to take a picture of it but this was the best I could get. I have noticed she has been digging a lot on the sand so possibly some got in her eye?

Attachments

• 43E79452-FB7F-4AA7-9BE6-336926E93A1B.jpeg
    43E79452-FB7F-4AA7-9BE6-336926E93A1B.jpeg
    470.8 KB · Views: 32
Would also add we got these hens as adults from someone so the age is unknown. Same with vaccination history.

A foamy eye can be a symptom of MG, a chronic respiratory disease. I would clean the eye with saline or eye wash, and apply a small dab of plain Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment twice a day. Look for any swelling around the eyelids or face.

Ok will do, do I need to worry about the other chickens? I don’t have an area to keep her separated now.

If she has a respiratory infection the others have already been exposed, so separating her doesn’t matter. I would just keep flushing her eye with saline or eye wash. Dried eye secretions look a little sandy or crusty.

Back
Top Bottom