Bubbly eyes....

He actually recommended that I treat them and I can keep them I just can't breed them. I don't want to do that because I want to raise chickens, and I certainlly do not want this disease to spread around any more and I do not want to infect anyone else's flocks. Even if a bird is "over" the illness, it remains a carrier for life, meaning that if I walk into their pen, and then walk into a healthy flock's pen, I can transmit it to the healthy flock by my shoes. It's also carried by WIND, other animals such as cats that may brush up against the pen, etc. I just think it's too risky. I think it'd be best that I just start over. I'll only be buying baby chicks from hatcheries from now on.
Even if you buy chickens from somebody and quarenteen them, they may never show signs of illness but can still be a carrier.
Sad, and scary, too.

Sad, and scary, too.

Yes, it is. After having that sick silkie it made me think twice about getting chickens from unknown sources.
I am sorry you have to do the culling, but I think you are doing the right thing...I think I would do the same even though it would be very difficult.
How do you get rid of all the germs left behind by the old flock? How long do you have to wait to get new chickens?​

Back
Top Bottom