Songster
13 Years
Jul 26, 2007
Mount Shasta, CA
This is hillarious. Cute design.

http://medford.craigslist.org/grd/421513494.html

0102090103010104082007091301686142ce2574164f00d201.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, I have spoken with the guy who built it. He is http://www.buckaroobuildings.com/

Ashland
is the gorgeous creative community at the southern border of Oregon, home of a popular Shakesphere festival. It was custom built for a woman, but then rejected by the HOA where she lives. The builder purchased it back from her and she obtained a more conventional structure.

The guy is releasing the property on which the coop is located, and instead of hauling it back to their shop, he wants it gone. Ashland is an hour drive from here, across a steep range, assuming one is driving a car. This guy is offering to haul it onto a trailer - it's the way they deliver all of the buildings they create - and deliver it not only to my home, but into the position in my yard where I want it located. And he's doing it for a silly low price. I'm not even going to discuss the price until I decide if I want it, and in that case only after the deal is done...

Anyhow, he's quite certain he can get it here and have it in good shape. Offloading it from the trailer he will then use some sort of rolling logs to position it.

The greater question for me is whether this is really a suitable structure for my birds. That section up above the door and window needs to be closed. He tried to describe what was up there previously, but he is saying that it allows the birds to fly in and out. I'll get some lumber and close that. Then I need to come up with a creative and equally artistic approach to allowing the birds to travel from the house to the run I completed this week:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16255

So I'm really looking for some ideas and advice. This beast is 11 feet tall. Inside is rafters and studs, and apparently he has some feeders designed to mount inside. Not sure more than this until I see it tomorrow, but according to the builder it is structurally sound, and intended to be shaped as it is. He has lived in Mount Shasta and understands our winter climate / snowfall - and feels it is suitable for here.

With all of the above said, do folks think this will be suitable housing for our flock of 10? If it is a dumb idea, I really need to know that before I make a commitment to it.

Thanks much.

I think it looks kinda cute - if thats the way it was meant to be and its not falling apart!
gig.gif

Can you ask for pic's of the inside or other outside views?

Quote:
After reading your post, I went and took another look. Photos on the internet are funny.....they either look like junk but are really a gem, or they look fabulous and turn out to be absolute crap. I run into that with cars. I've gone to look at local cars for people across the country who get their heart set on a car they saw on-line, that I go look at and give them a (truthful) poor review, and send them pictures to prove it. That said, to me upon a second look, that is probably more a work of art than a practical chicken coop. Better off as a pool cabana or kid's playhouse. Especially since it would require the additional work, as well as the size of it. So go and see. It may be just what you are looking for and suit your needs.

If the price is right I'd go for it - I think it is very creative and cute - not that your chickens will care...

You can always make modifications to it if needed.

Yeah, I'm definately going to go look at least. Ashland is a cool town and I need to go to Lowes which is just 20 minutes past that in Medford, so I'll head up there tomorrow afternoon. But 8x14 and 11' tall is not only a fairly large structure to introduce to my yard, I'm concerned it is a rather large space for 10 little birds. I suppose I can subdivide it into storage, but it's not exactly the sort of space you drive the garden tractor into. To create a smaller air space for the birds, would it make sense to create a false ceiling on one side and box in a 5x8 area (maybe 6' tall) with a hinged door that provides access to clean it? I could then expand that area in the future if we get more birds.

Alternate question...

The reason the buckaroo coop is appealing is because I really need a structure that will hold the chickens over the winter, and this one can simply be delivered and dropped into place for a very reasonable price. In a few hours I could have it in shape for the winter and be done for the time being.

I've been building irrigation stuff, 11 large raised bed boxes, a 20x20 carport/barn, the newly occupied chicken run and other home improvements since the snow thawed last winter. I have ton of client (web development) stuff going on and I am simply frazzled. I really need an easy solution to get this behind me.

Does anyone have an example of a dead-simple coop that would be adequate for 10 birds until next spring? I've spent hours and hours clicking on all the old posts, and bookmarked oodles of very creative designs - most of which will take a fair bit of effort. But if I'm going to build something fancy it's going to need to be held off until next season. The weather is cooling and before long I'll not be in the mood to be playing carpenter for a while. So I need an idea, puhleeese, for something that would be considered temporary.

For the period from now until the spring, would a 4x8 box (32 sq. ft.) made out of some scrap plywood I have sitting around be really bad? I know it is 8' short of the recommended 40 sq. ft. but it would be so nice and easy to knock out in an afternoon - as opposed to getting into something larger.

Ideas?

The coop is 20 feet beyond the bird feeder in this image last March:
frontyardmarch2007.jpg

This photo was take 15 minutes from our front door in the same timeframe:
shastamarch2007.jpg

Have you checked out the links for a straw bale coop that has been posted??

You could make it pretty quickly and it would be warm for you chickens during the wintertime...

Personally I like the buckaroo coop it reminds me of something you would see at the Mad Hatter's Tea Party
big_smile.png

Quote:
Ya, I looked at that. I'm afraid that by the time I built one with sufficient space for the birds, but tall enough that I don't have to crawn into it - and in such a manner that our winter winds won't send the roof or door covering soaring - I'd be pretty frustrated.

If not the buckaroo, a smallish wooden box that would be replaced by a shed-style structure next year seems desirable.

The buckaroo also reminds me of the cowboy equivalent of Cezanne's coop

17004ffb0.jpg

Last edited:
The buckaroo also reminds me of the cowboy equivalent of Cezanne's coop

OH that is CUTE!!! I had not seen Cezanne's coop before!
The addition onto it is a very cool idea as well.

Hopefully, the buckaroo will work for you!!
fl.gif

It would be fun to see it nestled out in the pine trees!​

Back
Top Bottom