Bucket nest boxes - Do your chickens fit?

australorpchick

Songster
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
Canyon Lake, TX
Does anyone use 5 gallon buckets as nest boxes for their larger-than-bantam chickens? I've seen pictures of people using them, but I look at the bucket and I look at my 10# BA and think how in the world is she going to stuff herself in there??? I even question if my smaller BR and CM could squeeze their feathered rears in there. Are there wide mouth buckets for birds of wider girths?

Quote:
Not that they're nesting in it, but I had 7 games in a bucket the other day. There seemed to have been one or two pieces of corn left and they all hopped in. I never seem to get pics of things like that. So the games are about 4-5 pounds each times 7, so yes they'll fit.

I use them and my Orpingtons fit fine when the buckets are on their sides. I just cut the lids in half and put one half of the lid back on, put a little straw in the buckets and they all use them! AND they are super easy to clean too!

I don't use buckets but I do have nest "boxes" made of concrete pipe, with the back closed and a lip on the front so they don't scratch out the nesting material, and the eggs don't get knocked out. You can get it in whatever dimension you want or can afford. Super easy to clean...and permanent

I had 3 grown Leghorn hens in a bucket at one time. Made a cute picture! I also had Buff Orpingtons, Red and Black Star hens using the bucket nest as well. They like crampy places for laying

Back
Top Bottom