Buckeye Barn 98% done

columbiacritter

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
Scappoose Oregon
Need one more piece of treated 2x4 to finish the top of the gate. About 50 more zip ties to keep the overhead netting up. And need to figure out how to cut plexi glass to make louvers for the top gable. Nex tweekend all the baby beckeyes in the basement move outside to their new home. The wire for the run is buried down two feet then one foot out.

11550_barn1.jpg

11550_barn2.jpg

This is the bottom board that pulls out for easy cleaning. For those who aren't Buckeyes the M is the symbol of their most hated rival Michigan. My husband is a Buckeye to the absolute core of his being.
tongue.png
The board did not come with the kit, I made it.

11550_barn3.jpg

It has solid door for winter and screen doors for summer.
11550_barn4.jpg

The roof hinges up for easy access. I need to figure out a way to lock them down. We get some hard windstorms in the spring and fall.

11550_barn5.jpg

This is Wares Chickn barn, minus the platform. It's not a product I would recommend for anyone not willing to do a lot of modifying and painting to make it work. As it comes I would expect it to last a year exposed to the elements. Like I said I'm going to make plexi glass louvers for the top gable since it will let in way to much rain as is and I want to keep the light source. The sliding doors really suck. The wood is so thin, that even painted they have all warped. I'm sure by the end of summer I will be replacing them with hinged doors.

I reinforced the corners inside

11550_barn6.jpg

It's also screwed down to the bas table so nothing short of a tornado will move it.

Last edited:
I must be seeing things here. It looks like you didn`t cover the run. Surely you wouldn`t go to all the trouble of burying the wire and building such a spiffy coop and then leave the top of the run open. Say it ain`t so.

OK, Now I see it. Good job..........Pop

Last edited:
Great job on your coop. I'm sure the babies will love getting out of the basement. If it were me, I would put a lockable latch on the door. Maybe I'm a worry wort, but I have one on mine just in case something got into the run. I think it's better safe than sorry. Raccoons are very smart unfortunately.

Quote:
Tha latches went on after I took the pics. Had to make a run to the hardware store for them. Even with tight runs I lock all my birds into their coops at night.

I have plastic netting overhead. It won't completely stop a hawk or owl but so far it's detered several attacks. I've found torn netting and brown hawk feathers in the run several times from where they'd bounced off. Once the grumpy hawk was still sitting in the run. I opened all the doors and he just stomped out in a huff then flew off. None of my hens were hurt, they were even walking around the run while he was in it.

Back
Top Bottom