1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buckeye Behavior and Estimating age

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rodandstafffarm, May 6, 2011.

1. rodandstafffarm

rodandstafffarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2011
    Finally got the remaining birds settled in their new coop.... I had a question about behavior. They are of course THRILLED to be out of their box, but I noticed a handful of birds do what I can only describe as a "chest bumping thing" they go right on to another bird full speed and they bump chests....wings flapping....is this a pecking order behavior regardless of sex....or is it likely these are young roosters....?

Also I had a question on approximate age.... my chicks arrived April 15 most of them with wing feathers.... and a majority larger than the others and it was the smaller, featherless ones who didn't make it (I'm the one that lost 9). Given the photo, about how old are they do you think? When they arrived they did not look like the day olds in most folks photos... I'm just trying to get a sense of age....

https://picasaweb.google.com/117800273969540585508/BuckeyeChicks3Weeks#5603737233534986770

2. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    My guess would be around 4-5 weeks or so. Chest bumping is common regardless of gender.

Oh and [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  3. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    Yours look just like mine. Mine were hatched on April 18th. My guess would be 2 1/2 to 3 weeks.

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Yeah, thats normal behavior. [​IMG] I would think they are between 4-5 weeks, something like that.

Last edited: May 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by