Pullet or cockeral, or pullet acting like a cockeral? (I Took pics)

I am sorry that is a rooster! :( 🐓
If you are rehoming him, I would put him on the Animals In Need of Rehoming section and post him on here and see if anyone would want him in their flock.
I can help you if you would like! 🥰
That's very generous. What did you have in mind in terms of helping? FYI, I'm not emotionally ready to let him go just yet, but I know it's only a matter of time. Wife ordered a no-crow. I'm a little concerned about it choking him, but it seems like all I have left are picking between bad choices. In the mean time, I'm just trying to have as much quality time with him as I can. I'm not quite sure that makes him particularly happy, but it's better than being made into dinner.

That's very generous. What did you have in mind in terms of helping? FYI, I'm not emotionally ready to let him go just yet, but I know it's only a matter of time. Wife ordered a no-crow. I'm a little concerned about it choking him, but it seems like all I have left are picking between bad choices. In the mean time, I'm just trying to have as much quality time with him as I can. I'm not quite sure that makes him particularly happy, but it's better than being made into dinner.
Giving directions on how to do it! That's okay, just let me know if you need any help!

I understand completely.

My favorite chicken was an 'accidental cockeral' 😆 He was quite a character and I really couldn't help myself!

When I had first gotten chickens, one roo was allowed then the area in which I lived changed rules. 🫤

I wasn't about to get of him however 😆 I did the only thing I knew to do- bought a no-crow collar (which really did make him far quieter) and bribed my closest neighbors with eggs 🤣

He went through a sassy phase- but it never was awful or anything. 😏 I'd pick him up and cuddle him, hold him like a baby, and talk sweet to him, when he'd get that way- lol- and yeah- I know there's all sorts of advise on the topic, I say- do whichever works for you and that you feel fits YOU best 😏

My lil guy was a bantam so he wasn't big and all my children are adults 😏 My one grandson is double digits. He never messed with my dog (lab mutt mix) or the barn cat.

He was really only a jerk for- on and off- about four months. Part of that time, I did separate him from the girls and he actually improved. I put him back in when they had matured and he 'generally' wasn't. 😏 He would have random moments.

If he acted like he was gonna be feisty, I'd ask him 'Do you need LOVE?' - throw open my arms and chase after him- he would then do the worried cluck and run off 🤣-- I'd catch & cuddle him- then set him down- and he'd do that - puff up and stomp off thing - IF the girls around 🤣😆🤣-- Like he was flexing, saying 'I told you to put me down' and 'Told you so!' - even though he actually adored being cuddled 😏

He actually was killed protecting his ladies.
Such a good rooster.
He, too, always danced. 😏

(Shrugs)
I dunno.

I've kept two others since him and they were both good. Did the same thing. Both bantams. Both sweet. Never had issues.
One I gave away because I only wanted the risk of one- and the one I kept- well- he just recently died when I was out of town and DH was in charge. Hawk or loose dog. 😔 He wasn't sure.
God I love roosters. Nothing like a great rooster, they make your life so wild sometimes but they make great stories too!

Wife ordered a no-crow
Please, don't!!
I'm a little concerned about it choking him,
And rightly so as this device strangles the bird preventing him to feed, drink and breathe properly, all the while cutting off normal blood flow.

Here on BYC we had several cases of birds that died because of it, leaving their owners devastated.

If you really love him, find him a good new home where he will be allowed to crow to his heart's content.
And maybe you will be able to visit him from time to time.

Please, don't!!
If you really love him, find him a good new home where he will be allowed to crow to his heart's content.
And maybe you will be able to visit him from time to time.

Well... 🫤... I too wish that all cockerels and roosters could, indeed, just all go the no-kill farms where they could live out lives being the amazing little guys they were born to be- I don't believe this to be a practical suggestion often times.

ARE there places like this..? Yes.

But can they keep the number of 'accidental' cockerels that end up in little family flocks..?
Highly unlikley. 😔

A crow collar CAN be a danger. This is true. There's GOING to be sound. There's going to be a little crowing. There has to be an expectation of such.

It doesn't SILENCE the cockerel, it will simply keep him on a lowered volume. Pullets and hens are loud- probably louder than most roos- once they have settled down into their hormones.

When I hear a person suggesting rehoming a cockerel over attempting to keep him first with the phrase 'If you really loved him'... Forgive my bluntness here, that really sounds like some judgement bullscript to me. 🤨

It creates a tinge in my danders which causes me to get upset disproportionately like- and I have to re-read your words a few times over.

I then say 'Self, you are making a big deal out of nothing. Surely this smart, capable person- this lover of chickens - as we all are here- THIS person who has helped so many - clearly- because they have been on this forum for so long- I BET they are very knowledgable & well versed in so very much- they are a true blessing to anyone here- asking for help or answers- THIS person- that wouldn't be a person who'd be the sort of person who'd disregard that everyone has difference circumstances- that the OP didn't ask to get any sort of moral lecture, but simply wanted options... '

🤗 Silly SILLY ME...

I absolutely understand how near and dear our little feathered babies can be to our heart-

Of COURSE nobody would want to be anything but helpful and informative..

I just let my heart get away from me sometimes. I hope you can excuse me. 😔

We all want to make the best solution.
That's why we are here, right?

Well... 🫤... I too wish that all cockerels and roosters could, indeed, just all go the no-kill farms where they could live out lives being the amazing little guys they were born to be- I don't believe this to be a practical suggestion often times.

ARE there places like this..? Yes.

But can they keep the number of 'accidental' cockerels that end up in little family flocks..?
Highly unlikley. 😔

A crow collar CAN be a danger. This is true. There's GOING to be sound. There's going to be a little crowing. There has to be an expectation of such.

It doesn't SILENCE the cockerel, it will simply keep him on a lowered volume. Pullets and hens are loud- probably louder than most roos- once they have settled down into their hormones.

When I hear a person suggesting rehoming a cockerel over attempting to keep him first with the phrase 'If you really loved him'... Forgive my bluntness here, that really sounds like some judgement bullscript to me. 🤨

It creates a tinge in my danders which causes me to get upset disproportionately like- and I have to re-read your words a few times over.

I then say 'Self, you are making a big deal out of nothing. Surely this smart, capable person- this lover of chickens - as we all are here- THIS person who has helped so many - clearly- because they have been on this forum for so long- I BET they are very knowledgable & well versed in so very much- they are a true blessing to anyone here- asking for help or answers- THIS person- that wouldn't be a person who'd be the sort of person who'd disregard that everyone has difference circumstances- that the OP didn't ask to get any sort of moral lecture, but simply wanted options... '

🤗 Silly SILLY ME...

I absolutely understand how near and dear our little feathered babies can be to our heart-

Of COURSE nobody would want to be anything but helpful and informative..

I just let my heart get away from me sometimes. I hope you can excuse me. 😔

We all want to make the best solution.
That's why we are here, right?
Your heart and your imagination ran away, obviously.

New chicken owners often get extremely attached to their accidental friendly young cockerel and rarely feel able to butcher or even give him away to people who will butcher him.

Of course they will not be able to know what becomes of their beloved pet cockerel if they just give him away. He might even get abused for cock fighting purposes if the owner is not able to previously inspect the possible new surroundings etc. which is rarely possible or even practical.

Even though I and others do butcher their surplus cockerels and other surplus birds, it does not seem the right thing to propose in this case as the whole family is very attached.

And instead of constantly strangling the beloved animal while he will still be able to crow as you rightly mentioned, the suggestion of trying to find him a really good home does not appear too outlandish to me.

Not "judgemental bullscripty" at all.

If there is no success, other options will still be available.

Back
Top Bottom