Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
buckeyes are not very flighty but they can fly

here is my best hen:
63711_picture_139.jpg

Wet Buckeye:
63711_picture_137.jpg

I'm telling you these birds are very freindly when I come to check on the birds they all jump down and come over looking for treats or to get let out these birds are GREAT! I love them
love.gif

ETA: these pics are not very good sorry!

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep. That was a HUGE problem for me this year. Normally I go by the old adage: "Build the barn, then paint it", which is still a good one. But last year I got some bad advice that said that breeding with hens who were speckled would give me offspring with good dark color. What I got was offspring that all had black in the hackles, which for someone like me (I show my birds) was a disaster. I had to sell about 30 birds, all extremely typey, but with that black I didn't want them in my breeding program. Broke my heart.

And now I'm not going to sell any chicks to anyone except homesteaders who don't care, as I worry that the black will still show up. I want to get some birds raised up and see what I have this year before I do a lot of selling.

Bob Gilbert thinks that in our quest for a good gray bar we've brought too much black in, which makes sense too.

At any rate, I would advise not using birds with a lot of black speckling. One or two specks is not so much of a big deal. But a lot is a no-no.

Where does one obtain *good* Buckeye's, not hatchery stock. Also, some things I've read said they do not bear confinement well. I live in an area with lots of predators, so I keep my chickens in a coop and only let them out if I can watch them.

Thanks!

Becky in NoDak

Where does one obtain *good* Buckeye's, not hatchery stock.

Breeders are the best to obtain good Buckeyes. There are a few breeders making a "production" or "hatchery" stock so you want to avoid them if possible.
Go here and join the forum and inquire (based on your location):
http://www.americanbuckeyepoultryclub.com/aboutus.php

Also, some things I've read said they do not bear confinement well. I live in an area with lots of predators, so I keep my chickens in a coop and only let them out if I can watch them.

Many keep their Buckeyes confined. I keep up most of my roosters because I do not want then sparring with each other & getting hurt. Some males get along and can be ouit together. They are good foragers so they appreciate space. If you raise them confined, they will be accustomed to confinement. I have a male I have kept up his entire life. When I tried to let him out, he was frightened of everything so he likes being confined. It is whatever they get used to, that's all. If something is lurking, everybody stays in. Buckeyes are known for the trait of not being feather pickers when confined-- so a good trait if you keep them up.​

If anyone only has Buckeye hens and can't have a rooster because of noise, I have a cockerel that has a messed up crower & it hasn't improved-- he would be great for someone worried about their neighbors complaining as he is very quiet-- ANYONE? PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom