Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The ALBC took Urch, Rhodes, Brown and others to rebuild the Buckeye. Am told that these older breeders were very helpful.

Is there much visual difference between the different strains?

Urch has had his line for 50 years closed breeding. Rhodes got his from Urch. The brown line has been out crossed.

The ALBC used the Buckeye as its model in their Chicken Assessment for Improving Productivity program. Here is the link.

http://www.albc-usa.org/EducationalResources/chickens.html

A breeder can use this assessment to restore any breed of Heritage chickens.

Duane Urch has done a great service to Heritage poultry. Over 100 varieties of pure bred poultry. He has been an APA judge for decades and is currently an APA District Director.

Quote:
Is there much visual difference between the different strains?

Urch has had his line for 50 years closed breeding. Rhodes got his from Urch. The brown line has been out crossed.

Just curious but how do you know that rhodes got his birds from Urch? if that is true I will have to ask him
His strain is different now
punky

Quote:
probably arond 200 to 250 eggs a year

Those are awesome numbers from a Buck. Are those real numbers? I have never heard of Buckeyes producing over 200/year and that is a good year.

Quote:
probably arond 200 to 250 eggs a year

Those are awesome numbers from a Buck. Are those real numbers? I have never heard of Buckeyes producing over 200/year and that is a good year.

I have only had Buckeyes since Oct. My pullets (when does one start calling them hens?) had just come into lay when I purchased them from a breeder. They consistently give me 5 eggs a week. I have not supplemented light nor heat. The other breeds I have, have gone out of lay ( they are in the same coop). I do not know how they will fare in the summer heat and humidity.

John Brown is still breeding his line of Buckeyes. There are several farms that have his line. He's been helping me learn about the Buckeye. I do have to say that someone broke into his locked coop and stole most of his breeders. So sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom