Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
When shipping eggs, it's not just egg breakage that one has to worry about, there's also shaking damage to the interior of the egg which can prevent embryo development. IMO it's important to include a thick layer of something spongy and shock-absorbent around the padded eggs to cut down on sudden jolts, shaking and vibration. The most successful hatches I've had from eggs shipped to me all used the same packing method:

* eggs individually wrapped up in paper towels or tissues, mummy-style
* wrapped eggs placed bottom-side-up in cardboard egg cartons, cartons taped shut
* cartons wrapped in bubble wrap and taped together to prevent shifting or hitting eachother
* placed in a shipping box surrounded on all sides by a thick layer of squishy padding material: wads of large bubble wrap, those air pouches, etc.

Sounds unlikely, but on one of these shipments the hatch was 16 out of 18 eggs, and on the other it was around 80%.

Last edited:
Quote:
Don't they want you to leave the spurs on show birds, to see them in their natural state?

I wonder about this too!

Quote:
Don't they want you to leave the spurs on show birds, to see them in their natural state?

I wonder about this too!

63711_birds2_021.jpg

63711_birds2_008.jpg

63711_birds2_006.jpg

Last edited:
This is for Chris, or anyone else that can either answer or point me to the right page...

I know Chris has posted something about Buckeyes needing to be started on out 30% Gamebird Startena but I can't remember for how long. I went thru the first 10 pages of this thread and can find it. Also looked on the Club site and can't find it. I have 14 new two-week olds growing like weeds now and want to know how much longer I should keep them on the Startena. They're getting transferred right after I type this to the pumphouse brooder. Hate to see them leave the house but they're already getting to where they can almost fly out of the stocktank I have them in.

Chris, can you either tell me or point me to the page # that you made your post? TIA.

Oh btw, Chris if you see this, I've sent you a couple of emails a month or so ago, did you happen to get them?

God Bless,

Boy howdy, where has everyone gone? Both this thread and the Club site seems to be dead?

Just thought I'd pop in and say that I just read that the Buckeyes has been relisted from "Critical" to "Threatened". I hope that's good news. I know it should be but just because there are more birds now doesn't necessarily mean that's a good thing. I know some hatcheries are selling Buckeyes now.

Not trying to rain on the parade. Just saying, well, you know.

God Bless,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom