Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got three Buckeyes last spring, two pullets and a rooster. It seems like it has taken them forever to mature. They didn't start laying during the fall like my other pullets (leghorns). Now it is the middle of winter and I have not seen the first egg from them. Any suggestions or am I just being impatient with slow growing birds?
When in the spring did you get them? What did you feed them? How old were they in the fall? Buckeyes do mature more slowly than Leghorns, especially production strain Leghorns, no question there. And laying is tied to many factors, including maturity, quality and quantity of feed, and especially, the length of day/daylight.

Right now my production leghorns are still giving me two eggs a day, those birds lay all year long I swear. And I'm not getting a single egg out of my Buckeyes. But as the days lengthen and the amount of light gets longer, they will start to lay again.

In regards to feed, I have always felt that Buckeyes (or any chicken, for that matter) need animal protein in order to perform at their best. In the old days, farmers used to use offal to supplement their poultry's feed; what was left over from slaughtering the beef, pork, or sheep on the farm was fed to the chickens, who ate it with relish. This boosted the protein levels and provided high quality amino acids, particularly lysine and methionine which are crucial for healthy chickens.

Today, many poultry feeds are either vegetarian (which make me snort with derision) or use synthetic amino acids, which I am not convinced are adequate for optimal growth and healthy production.

I once had a very long and interesting phone conversation with a feed rep at a large feed company. We went back and forth about the use of synthetic amino acids. He told me they formulated their feeds for the needs of the commercial industries: the giant layer houses and broiler farms. The nutrition in the feed produced by most feed companies is just what is needed to produce eggs and meat for those farms, no more.

When I asked about smaller, backyard flocks and show breeders who might have a desire for higher quality proteins and more natural sources of amino acids, I was told it was not economically feasible to create such lines, as there aren't enough of us out there for the big feed companies to bother to create such lines of feed.

And while he didn't come right out and admit it, he did dance around the fact that synthetic lysine and methionine are not the same as naturally sourced versions of same. So as breeders of small flocks of poultry, we have to get creative.

I know some folks who feed their chickens ground beef that has been cooked. I know some folks who feed their chickens fish meal. I know some folks who feed their chickens offal from deer they've hunted (I think this is a really cool idea myself.) I know some folks who feed their chickens dried cat food, and I've gotten a lot of flack over that idea from other sources in the past, but it was a suggestion given to me by a man who has been breeding poultry for over 50 years now (not Mr. Urch btw), and who has never had any problem with it harming his birds. That's what I do myself. Small amounts, not containing chicken of course.

The other thing to consider is, are your birds able to access grass and dirt? The same man who suggested small amounts of cat food also told me that there are trace minerals in the dirt that are invaluable to poultry that we cannot replicate even with vitamin mixes. Letting birds roam on grass gives them a chance to catch bugs, dig in the dirt, scratch around, and add those source minerals to their diet, which might add something they're missing.

So, honestly, no one can really answer your question as to why your birds aren't laying without knowing more about your setup. How are your birds housed? What brand of feed are you feeding them, and how much? Have you tried putting lights on them? 14 hours a day of light is the minimum they'll need to be producing eggs.

Let us know a little more about your setup, and we'll do what we can to help. Buckeyes will never lay as much as a production Leghorn, just never. But they will lay between 150 and 200 medium to large brown eggs a year if given adequate amounts of a good feed ration, clean water, oyster shell, clean and draft-free housing, and space in which to roam (with grass/dirt being optimal.)

Hope this helps.

Laura

Oh, there is a LOT of info out there, DFB. And some of it is even accurate, LOL. 

Glad you are getting Buckeyes for "really cool birds" instead of commercial or even family meat production. I would recommend the hybrid meaties like Freedom Rangers, Redbros, or the Red and Black Broilers that are out there for strictly meat production on range. Buckeyes will never produce the heavy breast meat that those breeds do. However, they do produce excellent dark meat and a good bit of it. Perfect of noodles, dumplings, casseroles, and soups. Just expect to keep them around for 18 weeks or better before you process them. If you raise a turkey or two as well, you could rear them on the same schedule and take everyone in for processing all at once. 

As for "meat strains" I don't know that there are any specifically for that since they are a dual purpose bird. But I would guess that good show stock will produce a heavier bird than some of the stock intended for laying. Some breeders use a "double mating" system and you might check with them. Chris might have more info on whether show birds are heavier than layers or hatchery stock. 

Well, just from reading through here, I picked up that certain lines were leaning towards more egg production, which reduces meat capacity somewhat, and since i 'm not really going to be getting them just for eggs, I figured a line not pressed towards eggs would be best. I'm not keeping them for meat either, but once they do get up in age I have no problem with soup. I love soup. The wife makes a killer dumpling soup.

I'm getting more interested in preserving a breed, one that's happy ranging, yet friendly and will tolerate humans well. Of course I'm far from diving in to more birds, but when I do I wanna have as much info as possible. I appreciate all the replies!

"When in the spring did you get them? What did you feed them? How old were they in the fall? Buckeyes do mature more slowly than Leghorns, especially production strain Leghorns, no question there. And laying is tied to many factors, including maturity, quality and quantity of feed, and especially, the length of day/daylight."

They are in a coop by themselves. Not under lights at the time except under cold nights then help to add a little heat. I have started feeding them a mixture of scratch grains, dry cat food (protein) and they have access to oyster shell. Their run is on dirt and it is moved every other day or so. I would like to do my part in helping to preserve this fine breed. Didn't get them for production (I know better than that). Didn't get them for meat either as they will prob die of old age. The rest of my chickens are fair game as for meat and eggs. I got them when they were five days old around the middle of April. I gave them medicated chick started the first two days and then changed them over to non medicated after that.

"When in the spring did you get them? What did you feed them? How old were they in the fall? Buckeyes do mature more slowly than Leghorns, especially production strain Leghorns, no question there. And laying is tied to many factors, including maturity, quality and quantity of feed, and especially, the length of day/daylight."

They are in a coop by themselves. Not under lights at the time except under cold nights then help to add a little heat. I have started feeding them a mixture of scratch grains, dry cat food (protein) and they have access to oyster shell. Their run is on dirt and it is moved every other day or so. I would like to do my part in helping to preserve this fine breed. Didn't get them for production (I know better than that). Didn't get them for meat either as they will prob die of old age. The rest of my chickens are fair game as for meat and eggs. I got them when they were five days old around the middle of April. I gave them medicated chick started the first two days and then changed them over to non medicated after that.

Ok, right there I want to address the feed issue. In order to get your birds to lay, you must feed them a good quality feed ration, free choice.

I have said it before and I will say it again, scratch grains are not a feed. Scratch is like candy, it is a treat. It should not be considered feed.

You need to give your birds a layer ration, preferably one that has at least 16% protein, or even higher, say 18% if you can get it. This is very important. You cannot feed your birds a combination of scratch and cat food and expect them to thrive.

Even I, who feeds her birds a small amount (like a scant cup per 30 birds) will tell you that too much dry cat food is bad for your chickens. It has too much sodium to be fed large-scale. Depending on the brand it can have bad chemicals in it, and all sorts of crap. Please, do not use this as part of your everyday ration for your birds. Really.

Please go to the feed store and buy some regular poultry layer ration for your birds. Dump the scratch. I never use it. Ever. It's like feeding a child candy and expecting them to do well at school. It's almost pure sugar/carbs. Your hens won't lay. The fact that the leghorns are is a testament to the genetics bred into them by humans to make them the high production laying machines they are. Those birds will lay no matter what. Please switch to a good quality feed for a month and see what happens.

Laura,

Maybe you could post some links to what you think makes a good bird. Sure others opinions will be varied but I would like to see what you would feed a baby , a reg rooster, laying hens, medicated or un medicated, etc... I know your busy but maybe someday you can... Idk if you use TSC for example.. you could go grab your brand with a link for each item, so me and others could see and have the option of using what you use do to you have a lot of exp. Also when your birds are free ranging, do you also mix in some grit, or feel they get enough from the ground....

Last edited:
I tried layer pellets and crumbles and they won't even touch them. But thank you for your help.

Perhaps a different brand? Just because they won't eat one brand doesn't mean they won't eat it. If they've gotten spoiled by scratch and cat food, it might take a few days for them to eat regular feed. Just remove all the scratch and leave the layer ration there. I promise, they won't starve themselves to death.

Laura,

Maybe you could post some links to what you think makes a good bird. Sure others opinions will be varied but I would like to see what you would feed a baby , a reg rooster, laying hens, medicated or un medicated, etc... I know your busy but maybe someday you can... Idk if you use TSC for example.. you could go grab your brand with a link for each item, so me and others could see and have the option of using what you use do to you have a lot of exp. Also when your birds are free ranging, do you also mix in some grit, or feel they get enough from the ground....
Actually, Chris McCary is the best one to address the feed issue, not me. I used to use Kent feeds until they stopped being sold locally. Now I'm using a local brand which won't be of much use to post about as it isn't carried nationally.

Chris, thoughts?

I tried layer pellets and crumbles and they won't even touch them. But thank you for your help.

I agree with Laura, try a different brand, or even a meat bird or all flock formula, and eliminate treats so that they don't have any other options. Or try topping the pellets or crumbles with the treats to introduce it as food (sometimes birds that aren't used to a particular type of food will not recognize it as edible if they've never eaten it before). Scratch grains and cat food isn't even close to nutritionally balanced for chickens and is probably a big part of why your birds aren't laying yet. Even humans will have difficulty with reproduction, and let's face it reproduction is what egg laying comes down to, when they aren't getting the right nutrition.

Actually, Chris McCary is the best one to address the feed issue, not me. I used to use Kent feeds until they stopped being sold locally. Now I'm using a local brand which won't be of much use to post about as it isn't carried nationally.

Chris, thoughts?

Laura, Kent recently switched over to all vegetable proteins. We have a Kalmbach mill up the road from us and they sell locally a lot. Their 16% layer crumbles are a mix of animal and vegetable proteins: http://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/images/stories/product_reference_sheets/1116cr for web.pdf I'm going to watch my girls closely this year once they get into full swing and monitor their production. If it looks a little low, I might give the Kalmbach a try to see if that helps. We used their feed for our rabbits and market turkeys and they did fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom