Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laura, Kent recently switched over to all vegetable proteins.

Well that stinks. I used to use their Flock Raiser for just about everything around here (back when we had all sorts of things, from bantams to waterfowl to several breeds of large fowl) and it was great. Too bad. I wonder why? I do know some companies which use animal proteins are actually just using feather meal, but don't think Kent was one. Perhaps the cost of good quality animal protein was just too high. I do know I am paying $19.99 a bag for feed. It hurts, but IMO it's worth it for the 18% I like.

Has anybody had split wing show up in their Buckeyes? One of the chicks' wing feathers is growing in differently than the rest. There's a slight break between the primaries and the secondaries which is present in both wings but more prominent in the right side. I noticed this almost as soon as the wing feathers started coming in, they sort of stick out a bit and are obviously different from the other chicks' wings. I've not had a chick feather in like this before. Searching BYC for info on split wing turns up mostly silkie related threads, although there are enough of other breeds that I know it's not just a "silkie" thing. Some of the info I've seen indicates that one week old is too young to tell if a chick has split wing or if it's just an ugly growing phase. I've seen some people state that you can tell as early as 3 weeks and others who said that you have to wait until a bird is mature to know for sure. Thoughts?

Has anybody had split wing show up in their Buckeyes?
Never in my Buckeyes, but I have had it happen in Orpingtons, so I know it does happen in large fowl breeds too. It is, as far as I know, heritable as well.

Very annoying. I would imagine, of course, it would be a pullet too, right? This stuff always happens with a beautiful young pullet who is otherwise perfect, never some scraggly extra cockerel.
he.gif

Sorry to hear of it...

Well, my little guys are only a week old so it's way too early to tell on gender. This morning it wasn't quite as obvious, I had to really look to pick out which one had the odd feathers. So maybe it's just a strange growth pattern and in the end it'll be perfectly normal.

On the bright side, if it is split wing from what I've read it's a recessive trait. So while it's not something I want to perpetuate at least I know which chicks could be potential carriers and having one that shows it I can do test mating to try and eliminate some of the carriers from the breeding stock.

Which leads me to another thought/question for those who separate their flocks into breeding pens for the season and then run them all together afterwords. How are the buckeye cockerels at reintegrating? If I kept 2 or 3 cockerels and separate one into a breeding pen for a few weeks should I expect any problems when reintroducing him to the main flock?

If I kept 2 or 3 cockerels and separate one into a breeding pen for a few weeks should I expect any problems when reintroducing him to the main flock?
In my experience if cockerels are raised together (even within shouting distance of each other) they will reintegrate fine into a stag flock for winter. There will be spats until they figure out who is dominant NOW, which is normal. If added into a flock with HENS as well as other roosters though, I would think the fights would get bloodier because my gosh, the harem is at stake! Make sure there's plenty of room for the subordinate rooster(s) to get away and hide if needed.

I had two roos and 11 hens in a Welsumer flock, and the subordinate roo NEVER got to breed. If he tried it, the hen would scream, and the dominant roo would come running as fast as he could, knock him off the hen and then chase him all around the yard til he found a place to hide.

I have two buckeye hens and a rooster. I call the girls Thelma and Louise lol. So sweet, super cute. It's almost like the get excited to see u cuz they run up on you and like to walk around and between my legs. Just love those two. Couldn't ask for a better Rooster either he likes to roost on my arm while I feed everyone. Can't wait for chicks!!

Hello All,
I'm new to this thread and just acquired a couple of Buckeyes. I would love your input on them. Be honest, I can take it. Thanks for your feedback in advance.

The color may be a little funky due to my camera, but it's pretty close. This fellow came from a local breeder. He is very calm and easily handled, if not easily caught...
wink.png

Here is the hen. Again, color is close but likely not totally accurate. Her comb is very small, but I do see three rows. They both have rather reddish eyes, and she definitely has barring on the undercolor of her feathers. I didn't detect any split-feather issues and the beaks look good in shape, if not a little dark in color.
Anyway, I'd love the thoughts of those more seasoned than myself.
Best,
Brice
Well, it's been about two months since I first posted these pictures of my "feed store find" on this buckeye pair. So here is the most recent picture of "Big Red." What do you all think?

Thanks,
Brice

He looks like quite a lovely boy! Can we see photos of the hen? And remind me, do you know what line(s) these birds come from?

I have two buckeye hens and a rooster. I call the girls Thelma and Louise lol. So sweet, super cute. It's almost like the get excited to see u cuz they run up on you and like to walk around and between my legs. Just love those two. Couldn't ask for a better Rooster either he likes to roost on my arm while I feed everyone. Can't wait for chicks!!
Congratulations! Owning Buckeyes is great fun, they really are quite friendly birds, aren't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom