Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody curious if you can answer a question for me. I live out hear in northern Utah and have been looking for some buckeye chicks to start a small addition to my flock. I have looked on the buckeye poultry club website under breeders and noticed that there are no breeders close by (Utah or Idaho). Wondering if any body has any idea if there are some out this way that just aren't listed yet. I have found one breeder down in Salt Lake but was looking for another so I could add another strain or line to the flock without inbreeding them. Was hoping to avoid having to order 25 birds and pay shipping when I only want a couple and was hoping maybe a local breeder would be more flexible on this. Thanks for any and all help on this one.

Ryan,

Chicks can be shipped to you from anywhere in the US, they don't have to come from a local breeder. I have shipped chicks from here in KY to as far as Maine and Washington State. Of course, it's easier on the birds to ship them to closer locations, but if you aren't finding someone close to you, then you cast your net a bit wider is all.

Check the list again to see if you can find someone who can help you, I'm sure someone will have chicks they can ship (although I will note that by this time of year, folks like me are already sold out.): http://www.americanbuckeyepoultryclub.com/Breeders.html

This week, my daughter and I realized that the ABA and APA standards are not consistent with each other for some of the less common breeds we spot checked. This included bantam Buckeyes.

APA 2010:
Cock: 34 oz
Cockerel: 30 oz
Hen: 28 oz
Pullet: 26 oz

ABA 2011:
Cockerel: 32 oz
Hen: 32 oz
Pullet: 28 oz

Why are they so far off?

I realize that a few ounces when judged in the hand is not that big a difference, but I'm a little distressed to find them disagreeing by 4 ounces on a hen, and a little confused about how this would be resolved when judging, if you happened to look up the bird in both standards.

This week, my daughter and I realized that the ABA and APA standards are not consistent with each other for some of the less common breeds we spot checked. This included bantam Buckeyes.

APA 2010:
Cockerel: 30 oz
Hen: 28 oz
Pullet: 26 oz

ABA 2011:
Cockerel: 32 oz
Hen: 32 oz
Pullet: 28 oz

Why are they so far off?

I realize that a few ounces when judged in the hand is not that big a difference, but I'm a little distressed to find them disagreeing by 4 ounces on a hen, and a little confused about how this would be resolved when judging, if you happened to look up the bird in both standards.

That is annoying, and good catch! I had not noticed it.

I will certainly let Karen and Pat know, as they should match, (and will send them each scans of the respective descriptions to be sure they can see the discrepancy) and the Standards Committees of both should be aware they don't. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. The Standards Committees of each organization will have to vote to make the changes, but I can't see why they shouldn't be able to work together to reach a consistent result. I'm sure this isn't the first breed this has happened to.

I feel fairly certain that if this were an issue with a bantam bird at a show, the ABA Standard would be chosen over the APA Standard when it came to a bantam bird. But of course, it would be up to the individual judge to make the final call. But that's what I think would likely happen.

That being said, of all the shows I've ever been to, I have never once seen a bird actually weighed. I know it happens sometimes, but I've never seen it.

But this is worth knowing about, and certainly worth harmonizing. Thanks again for bringing it up.

Laura

That is annoying, and good catch! I had not noticed it.

I will certainly let Karen and Pat know, as they should match, (and will send them each scans of the respective descriptions to be sure they can see the discrepancy) and the Standards Committees of both should be aware they don't. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. The Standards Committees of each organization will have to vote to make the changes, but I can't see why they shouldn't be able to work together to reach a consistent result. I'm sure this isn't the first breed this has happened to.

I feel fairly certain that if this were an issue with a bantam bird at a show, the ABA Standard would be chosen over the APA Standard when it came to a bantam bird. But of course, it would be up to the individual judge to make the final call. But that's what I think would likely happen.

That being said, of all the shows I've ever been to, I have never once seen a bird actually weighed. I know it happens sometimes, but I've never seen it.

But this is worth knowing about, and certainly worth harmonizing. Thanks again for bringing it up.

Laura

It came up when my daughter was studying for showmanship this week, which she does with a bantam Sussex. (Showmanship continues to perform an important function. :D )
Naturally, of course, we then checked out other breeds we keep. :)

All her work on that was somewhat for naught when the judge had all the kids switch birds and answer breed and variety questions about the birds they were handed.
gig.gif
I thought it was evil genius, myself, even though my daughter crashed and burned on it. I felt kind of bad for the boy who got her Sussex; he probably had never seen one before.

Hey Joe. I went to the Newnan, GA show (was there one in Chattanooga, TN too?). A beautiful, near perfect RIR (Mohican strain) won American Class and LF CH owned by Matt Ulrich (South Alabama) -- when he shows up with his RIRs at their feather best, I don't think anything will beat them (same bird won in Lake City, FL show). It certainly deserved the win.

I showed 7 Buckeyes and Fritz showed 3 (I had never shown there but always wanted to -- it is a 2 day show which I don't typically like -- it is only 1.5 hours from me). The RIRs had a District Meet, and they were well represented. More than 2,800 in show total (and only 300 OEG Bantams) == lots of LF. The Marans had the most birds in LF -- probably near 75 or so (their Nat'l Meet & every variety -- even white, . . . cuckoo qualifying meet -- the well known Marans breeder lives in Newnan). There were some nice white rocks too, not numerous like the RIRs or Marans but nice.
Newnan is a great show (except it was cold - don't laugh . . . but the high was about 40, low was 20 this morning with strong wind -- no heat in the two tents of LF) -- we need more Buckeyes there (gonna get you there next year) -- I'm not close to where I can compete against what showed up but I sure had fun trying . . . (when Matt shows up he competes against himself -- his SLW was Reserve American - near perfect lacing all the way including the tail) . . . one of these days.

The vendors of birds & goods were so numerous, it looked like a small city or a huge flea market.

Thanks for the information. That is probably one in the same show. I just observed the name in the PP. Who judged the american class? We'll see what I can get raised up this year to bring down. My cocks are just now feathering in. I'd like to travel south next year.......all depends on $$$$, birds and the "state of the homestead" (weather could be a factor getting down there).

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. That is probably one in the same show. I just observed the name in the PP. Who judged the american class? We'll see what I can get raised up this year to bring down. My cocks are just now feathering in. I'd like to travel south next year.......all depends on $$$$, birds and the "state of the homestead" (weather could be a factor getting down there).
Lewis Cunningham (OH) judged the LF. They had a shortage of judges as they underestimated the numbers in the show. Even though, what I observed, it still looked like he took his time and was being careful in his selection. He did not get around to judging LF until the afternoon. Also, I would have preferred they had the Buckeyes in the same tent / location as the rest of the American Class breeds -- instead, we were with the Leghorns, Sumatra, Cubalaya, Ameraucanas, Shamos, Malays, Games, Araucanas & such. The American Class was in the bigger tent with all those Marans.

The wind was blowing so hard, it was causing the flaps of the tent to beat against the show cages in our tent. I pushed my boxes under the cages out against the flaps so they wouldn't hit the Buckeye cages. The Leghorn cages on the other side got knocked over creating mayhem (and before the judging) -- I did not blame the Leghorn show folks for complaining.

Last edited:
I'm not real big on Cunningham's ability to judge a buckeye......I put a 9 pound cock (I weighed him right before I put him in the traveling box) and he told me the bird was still to small. I pointed out the standard and he told me I was wrong about the birds weight. Just not a real big fan.
As far as the weather, that is why I shy away from winter shows.....the weather can be unpredictable.....if the birds are standing there all humped up....I know I will be also!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom