Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not harmful, no.

Whatever, Starter you choose for your chicks, just make sure it is at least 28% pretein (and better to have some of it animal protein), but the Starter won't harm the adults. When I have had chicks with their mother with the other adult birds, everybody gets Starter because I don't want to take a chance the chicks will eat something else.

Last edited:
It would be best if you can get a starter of at least 21%. I don't know if all starters are this high, but its whats available in my area.

You can add 1 part soybean meal which is 48% protein to 3 parts reg starter and up the protein. I have used this and it works well. I have also seen the difference feeding reg starter and the game chow and there is a huge difference.
I have caught up on egg sales and have started taking orders again.

Roy

Hello Buckeye Breeders! big_smile

Subject: Big Bird Classic Show

I think most of you know that we are awarding Trophy Plaques to Best of Breed to any large fowl breed that can get together ten or more entries. So far we are having a Buckeye Meet, Plymouth Rock, Marans, and I am working on a Jersey Giant, and Turken meet also. If you are interested in exhibiting your large fowl (or bantams) in April go to http://www.BigBirdShows.com for a show catalog and more information. If we get 100 total large fowl to show up, $100 cash is going to Champion Large Fowl in each show. Don't forget we are a double show - two judges/same day - two chances to win.

Ann Charles
APA Arkansas State Rep.
BigBirdShows.com
SkyBlueEgg.com

Could you buckeye folks comment on my rooster and a two of my hens (the only ones that were outside this morning). I want to know the good, bad and indifferent, not as show stock but as heritage chickens. The hen with the band is a year and a half old, the roo and the pullet are about 6 months old.

Rooster

11751_buckeye_rooster_walking.jpg
11751_buckeye_rooster_side.jpg

11751_buckeye_rooster_comb.jpg

Two of my hens

11751_buckeye_hens.jpg
11751_buckeye_hens_2.jpg

I know nothing about Buckeye's but am getting some. I think they look pretty good. How is there personality?

Har;

I am very pleased with the demeanor of my bantam Buckeyes. I can only assume the large fowl are the same. Mine are quiet, calm, seem to not be bothered by other birds and do come running when they see bread! They are gentle when picked up and they are strong but not overpowering. They do not fight or peck when getting eggs either. My cockerel, soon to be rooster, does not crow often but has a very deep throaty crow, unlike the other bantams.

Quote:
This is a great way to increase protein levels. If you do not have access to pure soy meal, you can supplement with other things. I feed my Buckeyes yogurt, goat milk w/ oatmeal, red meat scaps, and worms as a supplemental protein source. I know someone who fed their Buckeye chicks mealworms as a supplement starting at 1 week old, and their chicks grew very strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom