Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sekinkead: The cockerel you got from me-- when he was 12 weeks old, one morning I went out and saw him chasing something, he was moving real fast & he got it, a mouse. He ran around with it, real proud, before leaving it for the rest of his siblings who took their turns running around with it. After a little while, I went out & tossed it over in the run with the adults who instantly tore it to pieces eating whatever scrap they could. Your cockerel was one of the youngest Buckeyes I have ever seen catch a mouse (the Buckeye hen that raised him weaned them at about 8-9 weeks so I had already removed her from them). Your cockerel was also at the top of the pecking order in his clutch of seven.

Your cockerel is in this clutch:
IM001011.jpg

hi every one. I just got some hens given to me by a nice couple who were moving and they weren't really sure what they had but they knew they bought straight pullets from the store. Well it ends up we have 6 chickens in total 1 Americana ( bearded and muffs on ears), 2 RIR, 2 Golden lace Cornish, 1 Buckeye, and all are really hens they are all laying eggs. And if it wasn't for your thread I would of kept thinking Gabbie was just a Really Really dark RIR I will try to post her pic and see if ya'll agree that she is a buckeye I really don't care I just think she is just so pretty with that nice rich color red.

Joann_WI . .
big_smile.png
o chickens get intestinal worms from eating mice the way cats do?

Good question. I do not know for sure, but I doubt they do. A parasitic intestinal worm of a mammal (mouse & cat) would not be able to live in a bird. Unless there is a parasitic worm of a bird that uses the mouse as an intermediary, then not the same parasite.

I have NEVER had a worm problem (never seen a worm in my chickens' stool), and I do not preventably treat for them other than some pumpkin seeds when they get freash pumpkin (if that works). There should be a balance of worms in a chicken's environment. Parasitic worms are opportunists and usually become a problem when there are other things going on as well.​

Quote:
Goatmom, you're not far from me at all (I am outside of Williamstown.) Let me know when you're ready for a Buckeye cockerel in the spring, I'm sure I'll have lots of extras! Would be happy to rehome one for free.

Laura

Laura Thanks! That sounds great, I would love to have one. My girls will love him too I'm sure
tongue.png
I fell in love with them after opening this thread. They are georgeous birds.

Billie Jo

Quote:
Goatmom, you're not far from me at all (I am outside of Williamstown.) Let me know when you're ready for a Buckeye cockerel in the spring, I'm sure I'll have lots of extras! Would be happy to rehome one for free.

Laura

Laura Thanks! That sounds great, I would love to have one. My girls will love him too I'm sure
tongue.png
I fell in love with them after opening this thread. They are georgeous birds.

Billie Jo

Remind me sometime around April/May, I should have some extra boys by then.

smile.png

Quote:
Hmm. How best to clarify this in an impartial manner. I'll do my best, bear with me, ok?

Sadly, there are two Buckeye clubs:

One, The American Buckeye Poultry Club Inc., was started in 2008 (actually, fall of 2007 if you want to split hairs.) It is a registered non-profit 501c(3) corporation, an Associate member of both the American Poultry Association and the American Bantam Association, and has elected officers, a Constitution and Bylaws, and members who pay dues and get to vote on how it is run.

The other, The American Buckeye Club, which is using a name that was used back in the early 1900s by a club that then died, was started in 2009. It is strictly an Internet-based club, is run by one person (as far as I can tell), has no non-profit status, is not a registered 501c(3), is not an Associate Member of the APA and ABA, and consists basically of an Internet website and a somewhat arbitrary "breeders list."

My daughter and I started the former. I am not in any way associated with the latter. I have offered a number of times to work with the person who started the second club (who was at one time a part of the group that put together the first club), in the interests of the good of the breed (it is always unfortunate and seems divisive when there is more than one breed club), but he has rejected my offers to put our differences behind us and work together. More than that, I feel I cannot do (you can lead a horse to water and all that.)

I encourage anyone to check out the two clubs and their associated Yahoo Groups (although I am not permitted to post the links for the Yahoo groups here), to judge for themselves and make the decision that is best for them, based on what they see there. Feel free to email me with more questions.

smile.png

Laura

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom