Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cute bantams! I got some from three sources (including Urch) recently, have only hatched two chicks yet, want to do a big batch in the spring.

I read the article in Back Yard Poultry, it was great and very informative, congrats. Buckeyes are on my list for future chickens for sure. Deerman, I love the bantams.

Quote:
Thanks! I hope anyone who is interested in these birds will get in touch with me, the breed club is growing by leaps and bounds, and Chris, Bob, Dave, and I are all working hard to promote these great birds.

smile.png

Laura

Well you and Chris have did a good job getting me hooked.I really love my Buckeyes.Roy Naugher got me started with them and I really did not know anything about them but with Roy, Chris and now Laura's help I am offically hooked!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I am going to request closing this thread pronto. I have really decided not to start another breed and you are off on this thread getting me all interested again. I had just put this breed aside.

Are they really great mousers? I could really use that.

Does Bill Braden still have them and what is his strain called?

Last edited:
Hi all, just thought I'd put in my two cents worth. I like the description of being friendly without being needy. I recently had a pullet go broody (yea!, I like broody) and it amazed me that not ever having been messed with that much, I could check under her without getting attacked. Oh, she grumped about it, but that was about it. Unfortunately, I am not set up yet for a broody hen and had to break her up. My cockerel from Chris McCary I got at Ohio National will soon come out of quarantine. The rest of my buckeyes are from Dave Puthoff.

PS My avatar is a photoshopped 16 wk Buckeye cockerel.

Last edited:
So what are Sandhill's Buckeyes like? I think I have the DH talked into getting a box from there and I was wondering if I should include some Buckeyes or wait for eggs from another source?

Aw RATS!!! This whole chicken thing is WAY more addictive than I thought. I AM PERFECTLY HAPPY WITH MY DELAWARES! I AM PERFECTLY HAPPY WITH MY DELAWARES!!!!

. . . . .but these birds are VERY enticing. . . . . . .
he.gif

I am new to chickens and have 6 pullets of 5 different breeds: EE, SF, RSL, BA, and Delaware (they are 19 weeks old). I thought it would be good to start with all pullets and no rooster since I have no experience with chickens. Next spring I would like to add a roo to my flock to protect the ladies. Do you think the Buckeye would be a good first roo? Is it hard to add a roo and a couple of pullets to an already established flock? Will adding the new girls with the roo make it easier on them (because he will already be protective of them)?
Sorry for all the questions but they are so appealing that I am seriously thinking of adding some.
big_smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom