Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knows how to feather sex chicks? I don't, but I'll bet someone does who can help with those pics in the previous page. Anyone, anyone?

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anyway u guys can help me sex my buckeye chicks

as i have four and im curious

as i have four and im curious
I don't believe it can be discerned at this age. Some try and guess saying the longer wings and shorter wings (and tails) are between males and females-- based upon that, those folks would say you have two cockerels and two pullets -- I have not seen this to always hold up.

I have a group of eight Buckeyes that just turned 6 weeks old last week, and I am still guessing (I have an idea but not 100%).

I don't believe it can be discerned at this age. Some try and guess saying the longer wings and shorter wings (and tails) are between males and females-- based upon that, those folks would say you have two cockerels and two pullets -- I have not seen this to always hold up.

I have a group of eight Buckeyes that just turned 6 weeks old last week, and I am still guessing (I have an idea but not 100%).
Sorry hit the wrong button!! and can't delete chris's comment...

I only wanted to ask...who has hatching eggs for sale in the spring?

Last edited:
So how many people out there are using electric poultry netting? Larry was asking about it. I use it extensively.

Last edited:
So how many people out there are using electric poultry netting? Larry was asking about it. I use it extensively.

I was wondering about this too. We are moving the chickens out to my grandmother's farm in a few months here and haven't yet decided what we are going to do for fencing. I know she has coyotes, raccoons, and opossums, and she has also warned us that her dog will kill them if they run.

Regarding feather sexing: to be accurate, you need to cross a slow feathering male with a fast feathering female. The Animal Science Department at the University of Missouri has a slide show that demonstrates the difference between slow and fast feathering on very young poultry. (1 to 3 days old) It's usually the first link that pops up when you do a search on google for 'feather sexing".

Last edited:
Regarding feather sexing: to be accurate, you need to cross a slow feathering male with a fast feathering female. The Animal Science Department at the University of Missouri has a slide show that demonstrates the difference between slow and fast feathering on very young poultry. (1 to 3 days old) It's usually the first link that pops up when you do a search on google for 'feather sexing".
Agreed and I do not believe it can be done with Buckeyes.

I saw something on the net, from the google search for 'feather sexing', that mentioned something called 'finger sexing', where one compares the width of their finger to the width of the pubic bone and determines sex that way. Has anybody heard of or tried it? Does it work? I think I could improve the size of my birds by separating the sexes and culling the smallest chicks of each sex, giving the largest more food and room, and preventing the smaller females from having to physically compete with the larger males.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom