Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
First ever Buckeyes in lockdown
fl.gif

Exactly my point. The slate bar is important. It IS in the SOP. The color is no less or more important than type. They are equally important. Funny tho it was pointed out to me that on the ABPC official website, the color portion of the SOP was left out. I would think that if a club goes through the effort to ask permission from the APA to post the official SOP, then they should post the WHOLE Buckeye Standard of Perfection. Not just the part that they find most important.

Oh DRB, since I've been recovering from gallbladder removal surgery on the 13th, I've been a bit behind on getting to the various omissions and errors on the website, which I completely revamped in the course of about a week's time (while ill, I might add.)

Thanks so much for pointing that out, you're so good at finding things wrong that I do, and calling attention to them in public. I really appreciate that.

I'll be sure to fix that right away.

Edited to add: I've re-uploaded the 2010 Standard, and please note, the section on color wasn't left out on purpose, it was a simple error on my part. The ABPC considers all parts of the Standard to be important, and any error I made was completely inadvertent, and had no nefarious overtone at all, so please don't try to read anything into it, as there was nothing there to read. It was just a simple error.

Last edited:
My flock has Wintered well without any additional lighting or heat. I choose to give them a chance to rejuvinate their laying systems during the long cold days here. The egg numbers have picked up quite a bit in the last week. I'll be moving my rooster in with hens soon, in prep for a April first start with the bator.

It's been a long cold Winter here. The hens are really becoming vocal with the longer days of light now.

bigz

Buckeyes hatching all over the place! I have 4 out from Mr. Lay and 2 out from another line. The Lay biddies seem so much darker than the other line, I don't think I'll be needing to band them to be telling the difference. Which is better, darker or lighter chicks? Will post pictures when I can!
Thanks, Susan

LeBlackbird, you should still band them or identify them in some way. When my buckeyes hatched, six from one line and one from another line, the one that was from a different line was distinctly different in appearance. Within 2 weeks I couldn't even tell her apart from the others except that I had toe punched her when I pulled her out of the brooder. I'm only on my first hatch of buckeyes, but I feel like these chicks' down/feather color has changed more dramatically from week to week than any of the other breeds I've brooded so far. As for lighter vs darker, from what I've read here the color of the chick down doesn't really seem to have any bearing on the adult color. So darker chicks are not better than lighter chicks and vice/versa.

Speaking of my guys, they're all but completely feathered in now! I think they're right around 8 weeks old, and last Sunday when we weighed them they were all just shy of 1 1/2lbs. Today I moved them out onto the brooder on the back porch (they've been able to jump out of the brooder box in the house for weeks now, I was starting to get tired of chicken poop on my floor!). And while I still think they're the friendliest chicks I've ever had, the honeymoon seems to be over as they all run like little idiots when I open the door. I'm almost 100% certain I have four cockerels and three pullets. At the very least, I have four that have very pink combs and little wattles started and three with hardly any pink in their combs and no wattles to speak of.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info
smile.png
Banded the different line as soon as they got out of the bator, so I'll make sure to prevent future confusion. It'll be interesting to see if the birds carry different characteristics as they grow.
big_smile.png
Loving these buckeyes so far, they're very curious and friendly!

Oooo, they sound adorable!
lol.png
Would love to see pictures of the little buggers!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom