Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to let you all know that thanks to some diligence on the part of Janet Hatch (thanks Janet!) we were able to find the great-grandson of Mrs. Nettie Metcalf herself, Randall Lee Dawson, and his wife Anne Marie. They have allowed us to give them an honorary membership to the American Buckeye Poultry Club (I sponsored it myself, as the founder I felt it was the least I could do), and we're going to help them find Buckeyes for the coop they are building out in California (I have offered to send them some chicks for free too!)

So very excited to have "met" them online, it's like touching a little bit of Buckeye history! Anne Marie and I chatted for a while on Facebook yesterday, she is just the nicest person you can imagine, and it was just such a treat all around.

So thanks again to Janet for "finding" them, and a general huzzah!
wee.gif
Tell the people the truth how Ann actually came to the surface, you at least owe it to the people reading...."dilgence"....thats funny!

Laura,

Still waiting on your reply to the Urch Thread?!?!?!?!, What makes his buckeyes so awesome? Mrs. Rau had a few of them direct from Mr. Urch and they were called "buckeyes" but didn't really represent the breed very well. She ended up culling everyone of them because she couldn't do anything productive with them. It's an honest question because I've never owed them myself. Just curious?

Last edited:
Laura,

Still waiting on your reply to the Urch Thread?!?!?!?!, What makes his buckeyes so awesome? Mrs. Rau had a few of them direct from Mr. Urch and they were called "buckeyes" but didn't really represent the breed very well. She ended up culling everyone of them because she couldn't do anything productive with them. It's an honest question because I've never owed them myself. Just curious?

I wasn't aware anyone was waiting for a reply from me on the Urch thread. Sometimes subscriptions from this forum seem to drop. I will go over there now and respond.

Note, if you are waiting for a reply for me, it's always good to email me and let me know, as I don't always get notices from this forum that something is waiting for me here.

Diana Dahir showed a Buckeye cockerel from Urch stock at the Iowa State Fair last year, He was a good looking bird.

I wasn't aware anyone was waiting for a reply from me on the Urch thread. Sometimes subscriptions from this forum seem to drop. I will go over there now and respond.

Note, if you are waiting for a reply for me, it's always good to email me and let me know, as I don't always get notices from this forum that something is waiting for me here.
Thanks for your reply and explaination..........you're a doll
duc.gif

Diana Dahir showed a Buckeye cockerel from Urch stock at the Iowa State Fair last year, He was a good looking bird.
I have heard nothing but good about Duane Urch.

It is funny how some people think they have the best chickens, dogs, etc in the world. Some even think there is no substitute for themselves. LOL!! When they win they have the Best and when they don't then it was bad and/or crooked judging. Everybody loves a chest pounder!

Of course I won't mention any names! Laura I always appreciate your contribution here and other places in the poultry world. Your humble attitude that I have always witnessed is a breath of fresh air.

Dan

I do not know anything about the Urch thread. IMHO, Urch's current Buckeyes I have seen are proper size and weight & looked good type. Not everyone recognizes good type as a first criteria but will only look at color.

One thing about Urch's birds that you cannot say about other strains of Buckeyes and that is, Duane Urch does not mix any other breed in (i.e. they are pure Buckeye, no Cornish, no RIR, nothing else) since 1958-1959 when he acquired them from, if my memory serves me correctly, a Mr. Howard Tallman (FL). I started with Urch Buckeyes, and I have never got one single comb in my Buckeyes in 7 years. I am not against grading, but I do believe it needs to be done with a genuine and specific purpose & reason in mind (and then please, do not use a SC RIR).

Since Urch keeps and maintains many, many breeds, obviously, he cannot do the sort of selective breeding year in and year out that many of us who keep but 1-2 breeds and do very selective breeding; however, without question, he does know how to select breeder birds, but I assume, he selects mainly for type. I still have a hen I got from Urch, and she is 7 years old. Although I did not recognize it at the time, the old hen has excellent body type. She still lays an occasional egg. I have noticed recently, that she has become far-sighted. Does anyone else have a 7 year old Buckeye hen still laying? What is remarkable is that she has survived 6 brutal Alabama summers!

I do not know anything about the Urch thread. IMHO, Urch's current Buckeyes I have seen are proper size and weight & looked good type. Not everyone recognizes good type as a first criteria but will only look at color.

One thing about Urch's birds that you cannot say about other strains of Buckeyes and that is, Duane Urch does not mix any other breed in (i.e. they are pure Buckeye, no Cornish, no RIR, nothing else) since 1958-1959 when he acquired them from, if my memory serves me correctly, a Mr. Howard Tallman (FL). I started with Urch Buckeyes, and I have never got one single comb in my Buckeyes in 7 years. I am not against grading, but I do believe it needs to be done with a genuine and specific purpose & reason in mind (and then please, do not use a SC RIR).

Since Urch keeps and maintains many, many breeds, obviously, he cannot do the sort of selective breeding year in and year out that many of us who keep but 1-2 breeds and do very selective breeding; however, without question, he does know how to select breeder birds, but I assume, he selects mainly for type. I still have a hen I got from Urch, and she is 7 years old. Although I did not recognize it at the time, the old hen has excellent body type. She still lays an occasional egg. I have noticed recently, that she has become far-sighted. Does anyone else have a 7 year old Buckeye hen still laying? What is remarkable is that she has survived 6 brutal Alabama summers!
That is Amazing Chris! Awesome post!
thumbsup.gif

Dan

Since Dave is no longer around. We miss Ya Dave!

How Bout them Buckeyes!!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom