Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not what's on the list exactly but what additives are used. Dog and cat food has different regulations not related to human consumption. Like Anticaking agents
Antigelling agents
Antimicrobial agents
Antioxidants
Color additives
Condiments
Curing agents
Drying agents
Emulsifiers
Essential oils
Flavor enhancers
Flavoring agents
Grinding agents
Humectants
Leavening agents
Lubricants
Palatants
Pelleting agents and binders
Petroleum derivatives
pH control agents
Preservatives
Seasonings
Spices
Stabilizers
Sweeteners
Texturizers
Thickeners
These are not all the same as used in human grade food.

And also dying diseased and already dead animals including road kill which are not aloud in human food. These are the reasons the bag says not safe for human consumption. A little different than a hot dog or a big Mac.

Its not what's on the list exactly but what additives are used. Dog and cat food has different regulations not related to human consumption. Like Anticaking agents
Antigelling agents
Antimicrobial agents
Antioxidants
Color additives
Condiments
Curing agents
Drying agents
Emulsifiers
Essential oils
Flavor enhancers
Flavoring agents
Grinding agents
Humectants
Leavening agents
Lubricants
Palatants
Petroleum derivatives
pH control agents
Preservatives
Seasonings
Spices
Stabilizers
Sweeteners
Texturizers
Thickeners

And also dying diseased and already dead animals including road kill which are not aloud in human food. These are the reasons the bag says not safe for human consumption. A little different than a hot dog or a big Mac.

have you read The Jungle -by Upton Sinclair?

I also think it's about choices you make. Here's an ingredient list from a brand of cat food one could choose that looks drastically different:

Trout, chicken meal, potatoes, salmon meal, garbanzo beans, peas, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), sweet potatoes, fish meal, whitefish, pea protein, potato starch, natural flavor, pumpkin, alfalfa meal, dried egg, salmon oil, vegetable pomace (carrot, celery, beet, parsley, lettuce, watercress, spinach), salt, potassium chloride, cranberries, blueberries, dried kelp, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid), yucca schidigera extract, inulin, minerals (zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous sulfate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate), ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), taurine, DL-methionine, L-lysine, iron amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

Crude Protein (min.) 35.0%, Crude Fat (min.) 12.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 3.5%, Moisture (max.) 10.0%, Taurine (min.) 0.12%, Omega 6 fatty acids* (min.) 2.0%, Omega 3 fatty acids* (min.) 0.8%. *Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Nutrients Profile.

Looks pretty healthy to me. That's the label from a bag of this stuff:

http://www.petco.com/product/113945...y-Cat-Food.aspx?CoreCat=CatFFB_NaturalBalance

Last edited:
People who have raised chickens for many years feed dog or cat food without any problems.

Walt

Yes, the man who taught me this trick has been breeding poultry since 1939. I think he knows what he's talking about.
wink.png

Like I said, to each their own. I raise my own animals to get away from processed meats and additives and chemicals. It kind of defeats the purpose to feed them junk and the stuff I'm wanting to avoid.

Like I said, to each their own. I raise my own animals to get away from processed meats and additives and chemicals. It kind of defeats the purpose to feed them junk and the stuff I'm wanting to avoid.

What poultry feed do you use?

Considering the fact that even free range chickens will eat maggots and clean the bones of anything dead they happen across, I don't see the harm in feeding commercial cat or dog food. (Some people I know supplement with fish food) Now, I don't, but that's not because I'm squeamish, it's because I'm too stingy to feed a chicken something that costs over twice as much per pound as the grains they usually get. I buy dog food for my hard working dogs, and the cat food is reserved for the two cats who ignore chicks and hunt mice.

Antigelling agents
Antimicrobial agents
Antioxidants
Color additives
Condiments
Curing agents
Drying agents
Emulsifiers
Essential oils
Flavor enhancers
Flavoring agents
Grinding agents
Humectants
Leavening agents
Lubricants
Palatants
Petroleum derivatives
pH control agents
Preservatives
Seasonings
Spices
Stabilizers
Sweeteners
Texturizers
Thickeners

. Funny you say that. My son works for Iams pet food at the lipsec Ohio plant I have absolutely no problem mentioning the plant and place in this post as a few years back my son who is in the QC dept rejected a truck load of frozen chicken on incoming inspection the truck driver was furious and had no idea what to do next he called his company and within two hours the driver was on his way over to the cambels soup plant in napoleon Ohio to deliver the chicken that was not fit for dog food but was apparently ok for soup for HUMAN consumption and I'm not sure what U.S based dog food company is adding road kill to there pet foods as you say but I would love to know what company is using this practice so I do not feed this brand to my animals in the future

You all can put whatever you want in your chickens. I have been to a dog food factory and don't want any of the chemical or sodium in my food. Interesting how some Ppl will rant about no GMO or chemicals or hormones in their food but will promote adding dog and cat food in their diet. Its your food so do whatever you like. I stand by my stance on keeping my birds diet completely natural. Including snakes mice bugs and whatever else they find naturally. But my dog and cat food is kept out of their reach. To each their own.
. After I quoted your post Josh I see your from Ada so you would most likely know of both of these facility's I mention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom