Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
the feathers seem shiny - more so than other dark chicken colors I've seen (I'm no expert, just small farm and chickens for only 3 years) .... are others seeing this, or is it me?

I like that look on the feathers.

Also - what lovely live and table specimens! My girl is still turning colors from her fuzzy feathers, can't wait to see where she ends up.

I've culled roos before, and some of the best dinners were from them, because they were well-rounded, had a good life and got all plumped up for the last few months. Happy til that last second.

The cockerel saddle feathers are indeed shiny, it's one of the ways to determine which is which, pullet saddle feathers are dull (and round.)

sweet - my peep is coloring in about the same with stronger color on the wings. A little older than these now.

But over all - all the pictures seem to have very shiny deep red feathers. Nice.

Yes Dave. These are hatched from my breeding pens. I would have noted otherwise if they weren't. (And the only pics showing are pullets, just fyi.)

Is your bird in that photo one you bred yourself? Or did you buy it from someone? Usually I would never ask such a question of someone posting photos, but since you brought it up, I guess I should ask.

FWIW, I do have some nice youngsters coming up as well from chicks that Bob Gilbert sent me, and I was lucky enough to win eggs from Cliff Calhoun at a 4-H charity auction. Both those sets of birds have my bloodlines in them, as I have sold chicks or eggs to both Bob and Cliff over the years. I look forward to seeing how they braid back into my stock.

I will note, that with very few exceptions, I do not show any birds other than those I have raised. If Chris can't come to the OH National this year, I may show Red Cloud for him (under my name) just to see how he does after having won BB as a cockerel. But all the other birds I will be bringing will be those I bred myself.

And Chris, just fyi, is Chris McCary, President of the American Buckeye Poultry Club.
Thanks Laura for the response. As for my Cock, I have to say that I obtained him from a woman in northern Ohio. But I am very pleased with how he looks and will be used as one of my breeder males.

It's hard to tell because Joe is having to hold his birds head up, but yours looks like it has a better length of back PA (standard says back, rather long). It definitely shouldn't be short.
I believe that the way the bird is position is correct for showing purposes. I know that they do this for OE's and games, so with that being said I do believe that the way the bird is position is correct and also matches what I have seen for shows as well.

Well I have a new question for Buckeye "experts". I just noticed tonight that one of my hens is growing spurs. First, YES, she is a hen. She is 14 months old. I've had her all of her life. The spurs are maybe 1/4 of an inch long. Just little nubs really.

I've searched that it is more common in some breeds, but Buckeyes were not mentioned.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it rare?

Well I have a new question for Buckeye"experts". I just noticed tonight that one of my hens is growing spurs. First, YES, she is a hen. She is 14 months old. I've had her all of her life. The spurs are maybe 1/4 of an inch long. Just little nubs really.

I've searched that it is more common in some breeds, but Buckeyes were not mentioned.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it rare?

I have a few buckeye hens that have spurs. For buckeyes it's pretty rare but for game birds nearly all of my hens have spurs. There is game blood somewhere in the make-up of the breed so it makes sense.

I think when describing the color, people should use color chips like they sell paint with; that way, one could say this bird is Sherwin Williams #666 (for those REALLY red birds...heh). It would be easy to go to the local Sherwin Williams store, pick up a paint chip sample with that number and know exactly what color they're talking about.

Last edited:
I believe that the way the bird is position is correct for showing purposes. I know that they do this for OE's and games, so with that being said I do believe that the way the bird is position is correct and also matches what I have seen for shows as well.

I have no had a chance to watch the judging of the Buckeye exhibits at a show; Walt, do judges really reach in the cages of a Buckeye and stretch it's neck up like a stovepipe to determine it's type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom