Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one understand breeding for quality animals and buying from a reputable breeder. I bred and showed dogs (retired now) for 25 years and groomed dogs for 32 years. I spent a lot of time and money trying to breed healthy sound dogs with correct type. I studied pedigrees galore. I did my homework. I traveled hundreds of miles to breed to select males...and they were not usually the top winning males as there was a lot of politics in showing dogs. I learned FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION. I have seen many a beautiful dog that could not move. I learned that when you find that 'perfect' sire for your dam, look at the dams in the pedigree. We also had a very simple saying we heard from a very old, long time breeder...."If you don't want to see it again, don't breed it again." I no longer show but a very close friend of mine still does...she got her foundation grump from me 11 years ago. Last year this friend sold a 9 month old puppy (already an AKC Champion) to a breeder in Japan whom she met several times here in the states while he was showing. This pup is very close to becoming No. 1 Italian Greyhound in Japan by 2010. I am very proud of my hard work and very proud my friend has continued where I left off.
BTW... that Champion pup is the great grandson of my grump, CH. Evergreens Walkaway Renee', who is now 13 years old!

For me, all I want is a healthy pet with eggs. I don't mind a little day trip or overnighter to pick her up. We drove down to southern Ohio in October to pick up our little bantam Cochin from a breeder, who also shows. I met her on BYC.

I do no want to slam the hatcheries...many of you are very happy with your chickies from them...I just prefer the challenge of researching the breed I'm interested in and then finding a breeder who meets 'my' specifications and who will 'trust' me with one of their babies.

Debbie

Last edited:
I love little fluffy chicks, here are 2 pictures. I have found a great deal of variance in chick color from almost completely yellow to almost completely red.

3426614396_f81f580489.jpg

4129423186_8759d76f42.jpg

Last edited:
Bluebird, for years showed GSD decades ago Willow Grange Dark Royal . what has been done to these dogs drove me away from show ring tried, arab horses too much politics there also.My husband breeds and races pigeons, the best he possibably can. But your point is very valid if possible get your stock from the best breeding source you can!
clap.gif

jenjscott - what cute babies!!

rustyswoman - fancy meeting you on this thread to! I also have Buckeyes that will be hatching soon. They are in lockdown now and will hopefully start pipping tomorrow. I will be watching for updates on your new babies. You must post pics for all of us to see.

Hi! I have one chick out 1 zipping and 1 pipped. The chick is alot lighter than I had expected. I guess I was thinking RIR in color. But this one is a strawberry blonde.

I hope you have a fantastic hatch sekinkead. I will post pics and would love to see yours too.

Jen- those are gorgeous pictures of your chicks!

Quote:
I was also surprised that the buckeye chicks were not born darker.I got that also from raising RIR's that good quality birds come out dark red.The buckeyes will feather out in a few weeks dark mahogony like they will be as adults.Just give them a little time.I know people that have breed them longer know more than I do about the subject but this has been my first take on this subject.
smile.png

Thank you James. I am going to wait at least a month but I want to get some of your Buckeyes too. They are beautiful.

Two are out and 3 pips!

Here are my buckeyes from meyers. They are almost 6mos. Look close and one can see smattering of white on the back of one hen's head!

7738_endurance_ride_047.jpg

Very pretty birds. I'm getting more excited about getting some Buckeyes. Are yours laying at 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom