Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG! Rustywoman your babies are just TOO cute! I am sooo jealous! No....not gonna do it!
he.gif
Just going to patiently wait for my 'one' pullet from Laura this summer. I do envy you guys hatching all these darling chicks and watching them grow. But right now all I want is just a few pets with eggs....and
caf.gif

Laura, you do have a great website! I honestly do not know how you find the time to do all that you do. Also, thanks for approving my embership to ABPC. Still working my way thru the archives....

I am curious to know, since several people on here show their birds, how many of you vaccinate and what do you vaccinate for? I have done searches on the board and found some helpful info, but just wanted to hear from you guys.

I vaccinate for Marek's and have for many years. I am contemplating starting to vaccinate for ILT, but haven't decided yet.

I don't vaccinate for anything. In the past when I incubator hatched chicks, I have vaccinated for Fowl Pox (due to lots of mosquitos here in the South) & Laryngo (the tissue derived vaccine [safer one]). Since I started letting the hens hatch and raise the chicks, I don't see the need to vaccinate since the chicks are exposed to anything out there from day 1. It certainly would not make any sense for me to vaccinate against Marek's. IMHO, a chick raised outside by the mother hen in the yard & elements grows up to be a very hardy, tough bird. If they are weak, they won't make it.

I've not had any adult birds to die of disease & from my experience and what others have related to me, the Buckeye seems to a relatively healthy, vigorous breed. They are not one of the fragile breeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom