Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Really? That's a new one, I've been to my share of shows and never had one demand I use a permanent band. Wonder why that is? The only permanent bands I've ever used have been the ABA ones, never used them on large fowl. That stinks.

Good Evening, and thank's for the higher protein input...yep, I'm a fan of cat food for treats. With the back door open to the house shooing hens out is daily practice....didn't give any to the young buck's, but will start for sure.

I have a question in regards to broody hens.....how do the buckeyes rate? I prefer the simplicity of a broody hen if at all possible. Thanks for any help. ~ bigzio

Wow, lots of posting here.

Janet_ I'm still undecided, still looking at the Ohio National and not sure I can attend both. Arkansas requires the permanent band if you are not npip certified.

bigzio, it seems to depend on the strain. Some say their's won't go broody, I have had at least 1/2 of mne go broody, some more than once this year. I think I will market eggs next year "from a hen that has gone broody", maybe keep track and see if I can develop a broody line (apa standard, of course)

Cutler has as few as 25 leg bands and for a couple of birds, I wouldn't buy the special closer, you can use pliers.

I think the cat food is a great idea, I've been struggling how to get more protien to my birds. I hadn't thought of it, and the flames come from ignorance, something you'll never be able to fight or escape. I'm just glad it hasn't deterred you from posting it again. Thank you.

Jen,

Thanks! I missed the "non-certified" -- I'm on the list for certification, so if I have my NPIP papers, I'll be okay?
thumbsup.gif

Janet
NW MO

Quote:
I read somewhere that cat food contains something that is poisonous/ toxic to chickens and I was told never to use it in any mass because it could cause death. Just something i would watch out for.

Quote:
I read somewhere that cat food contains something that is poisonous/ toxic to chickens and I was told never to use it in any mass because it could cause death. Just something i would watch out for.

Well, I'm not saying to give it to the birds free choice, but about a cup or so for every 20 birds. And have been doing this since 2004 with no problems. YMMV of course...

Quote:

Well, I'm not saying to give it to the birds free choice, but about a cup or so for every 20 birds. And have been doing this since 2004 with no problems. YMMV of course...

And "I heard" it was the KITTEN food you had to be careful with. Anybody know where this is coming from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom