Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love see some pic's of everybody's Buckeyes, I have some and just wanted to compare them to some of the nice Roosters you guy's have. Thank's

AL

About the band question. In NC, when the bird is inspected by the state for the NPIP cert., they place a permanate metal band on the bird. Do they do this in other states or is it just NC. Also, is this the only band required if I decide to show my birds, or do I need something else.

I wont be showing any birds this year, I dont have the time to start trying to train grown birds. I will be trying to go to a couple of shows just to get used to how things are done.

Good Morning,

Laura I use the cat food for the chickens also. I read it somewhere on here last year and quite a few people use this practice along with you, so those who flame.... need to give a much better reason against it or stop flaming.

I have to feed the cats on the sly or change up the places I feed the cats because my free rangers will hunt the cats down and steal their food. The geese too. Even when I put it up high I will find my Light Sussex out there pigging out and the cat looking upset.

I have a buckeye egg that is going to hatch today, if everything goes right! It is going to have some strange roommates! A few of my own "meaties" I am working on to see if they will breed true, a Turken (gotta love those naked necks-or hate them) and one Mottled Java. Should be some fun colors in the brooder today.

One last question. I took the Buckeyes to the fair and they put a question mark as to the color on their card... aren't Buckeyes just called Buckeyes? No specific color right? They both received blue ribbons (LOL this is the fair) and got RV and BB and Res. American. Granted they were the only Buckeyes there.

They tolerated the cages well even though I have never caged them other than their own pens.

Quote:
KY will put a plastic bandette on your birds when they test if you don't already have one. I usually already have my birds banded by the time I renew, so it's a non-issue. But KY doesn't use the metal ones.

Quote:
There is only one variety of Buckeyes, so color isn't really an issue. If pressed you could say "Red" or "Mahogany", but it's a moot point.

Quote:
There is only one variety of Buckeyes, so color isn't really an issue. If pressed you could say "Red" or "Mahogany", but it's a moot point.

Yep, I wrote red on the card so that any viewers wouldn't be confused

Ahhhh My Buckeye baby is here! Just popped out of the shell!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I would love to Al. The Roo in the first 3 pics is the oldest, then the next pics are of the younger roo and last are the pics of my hen. The others were hiding.

33539_dscn8509.jpg

33539_dscn8495.jpg

33539_dscn8499.jpg

33539_dscn8522.jpg

33539_dscn8520.jpg

33539_dscn8521.jpg

33539_dscn8502.jpg

33539_dscn8506.jpg

33539_dscn8507.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back