Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Punky,
My birds came from what where probably the first batch of eggs from Chris's stock after he brought them back from the Ohio Nationals last year. I picked the eggs up in Dec and hatched them Jan 11th. Mine are actually a result of two different hatches, the first hatch being from Chris's older roo, and the second hatch, 4 wks later, from his younger roo. Both roos mated to the same hens, which are also McCary stock. The eggs I am offering are from these offspring, My older hens mated to the younger roo, and the younger hens mated to the older roo. I keep these roo's and hens in seperate pens so I know which hens and roos are the parents of any chicks. While the eggs I am shipping wont be labled as to which roo or hen are the parents of each egg, ( I dont gather my own eggs), the winning bidder of my eggs will recieve a mix from each seperate pen.

Currently I am hatching just about every egg my hens are laying, I just happen to currently have my incubators full and no place to put the eggs I am gathering this wk, which is why I am haveing the auction. Once my incubators are empty again, I will start filling them back up with my Buckeyes eggs, and eggs from a cross of two other breeds that my wife wants. (cuckoo marans X black australopes). Everything else is in molt and not laying. I also have a third roo of the same buckeye stock that I will use to swap my roosters around with the hens. I started with 22 roos from my original two hatches of the McCary eggs and kept what I considered the best three.

Quote:
thanks
I just want to make sure I get nice quality birds I just got a VERY nice young roo from Bob Rhodes

Quote:
Janet, I dont know how Missouri does it, but NC will test all birds their first time. After everyone has been tested, they just select 15 random birds for followup test, (every three months). I am sure the number will also vary according to just how many birds you own. One thing to remember is that you cant introduce any new birds with your flock until after it too has been tested. Introduceing before the new bird is tested could mean just testing the new bird and the random 15, or it could mean retesting the entire flock. If the new bird does test positive, they could destroy your entire flock, even if the rest do test negative. If you buy a bird from another npip flock make sure you get the VS 9-3 forms before you introduce the new bird to your flock. The VS 9-3 forms will be signed by the state inspector that inspects the flock that you are buying your new bird from. The seller keeps one copy, buyer keeps one copy and gives another copy to their state inspector. I dont know if every state uses the VS 9-3 forms, if they dont now, they probably soon will.

Quote:
Janet, I dont know how Missouri does it, but NC will test all birds their first time. After everyone has been tested, they just select 15 random birds for followup test, (every three months). I am sure the number will also vary according to just how many birds you own. One thing to remember is that you cant introduce any new birds with your flock until after it too has been tested. Introduceing before the new bird is tested could mean just testing the new bird and the random 15, or it could mean retesting the entire flock. If the new bird does test positive, they could destroy your entire flock, even if the rest do test negative. If you buy a bird from another npip flock make sure you get the VS 9-3 forms before you introduce the new bird to your flock. The VS 9-3 forms will be signed by the state inspector that inspects the flock that you are buying your new bird from. The seller keeps one copy, buyer keeps one copy and gives another copy to their state inspector. I dont know if every state uses the VS 9-3 forms, if they dont now, they probably soon will.

I get retested next week, all I remember is that last year we were testing birds for 4 hours. I was a bloody mess by the end with all the wing pricking. Here in KS testing is free if you do the AI testing along with P/T. I'm guessing he will test all the birds again even though everything egg ect. I've brought in does have paperwork. Fingers crossed for not testing every single bird!

Jim, NC doesnt require AI testing either, but they offer it free if you want it done. as far as I know there has never been a verified case of AI in the U.S. and according to my state inspector, they havent found a case of P/T in a great long time either. You get right down to it, NPIP testing doesnt do much and most of the really contagious and deadly diseases arent even checked for.

Evening to Everyone, just stopped by to say that the flock is doing fine. They love to free range like no other breed. It's seconds from the time I open the pen door til they are free for the day. My flocks all enjoy freedom and free fresh live food. The way God ment the flocks to be, in my opinion.
I was lucky to end up with only three cockerals, and 9 pullets, out of the dozen chicks. They are friendly for sure, and are already coming in the house by the back door for cat food treats.
Have Fun... ~ bigzio

We are having a small issue with our Buckeyes. They fly over a 4' fence to harass us in our backyard. The older roo even has the gall to come up on the back porch to irritate us. They have feed and water in their lush pasture. The least they could do is leave their eggs on the porch instead of the coop.

31282_9-20-10_030.jpg

31282_dscf0017.jpg

31282_dscf1145.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom