Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I'm definitely not looking for a wall flower. Many of the chickens are gorgeous eye candy, but I'm looking to decrease the grocery bill. We eat a ton of eggs. ANd sell afew, who's kidding here, sell a LOT of eggs. THe other characteristic of the buckeye is that it is supposed to have a much larger breast muscle than the other heritage breeds. I wouldn't expect it to match a cornish X. THe higher Dressing % would make the extra boys a yummy dinner. Has the buckeye maintained it's bigger breast meat size?

I will grab you a pic of my Buckeye who is in my meat bird project.

Quote:
I'm definitely not looking for a wall flower. Many of the chickens are gorgeous eye candy, but I'm looking to decrease the grocery bill. We eat a ton of eggs. ANd sell afew, who's kidding here, sell a LOT of eggs. THe other characteristic of the buckeye is that it is supposed to have a much larger breast muscle than the other heritage breeds. I wouldn't expect it to match a cornish X. THe higher Dressing % would make the extra boys a yummy dinner. Has the buckeye maintained it's bigger breast meat size?

Ones who are breeding to the standard, have.

MMPoultry:
I will grab you a pic of my Buckeye who is in my meat bird project.

Are you mixing the best of the best to get the best plus hybrid vigor; or is this a buckeye to buckeye meat project? Tell us more . . .​

Quote:

Which one is the right one, yours?
lau.gif

Well....now that you mention it....YES!!!!! They would look much nicer in our brooder!
lau.gif
hide.gif

Quote:
Are you mixing the best of the best to get the best plus hybrid vigor; or is this a buckeye to buckeye meat project? Tell us more . . .

No by no means this is a strict meat bird project to construct my own Cornish x Rock type chicken with a fast meat to feed conversion as well as the large double breast. This guy is by no means SOP he is a giant buckeye at only a little over a year old he is 12 lbs. his breast is deep Hes a walking nightmare exept so sweet and innocent.
If you are curious as to my project mixtures. It consists of. Buckeyes Plymouth white rocks. Dark cornish. and well conditioned CxR hens and roo's. Buckeye X PWR F1(a)-
Dark Cornish X CxR F1(b)- CxR x PWR F1(c) - Dark Cornish x Buckeye F1(d) A-b will breed F2(a2), c-d will breed F2(b2), offspring from a3 and b2 will start my spiral breed program selecting the best. 5 trios of stock and breeding that back to my CxR roos and hens.

61206_bubby_001.jpg

61206_bubby_006.jpg

Hope I didnt lose you anywhere
wink.png

Quote:
I had a problem with retained eggs - I had to put down one hen and I believe this killed another. I don't believe my buckeye hens were fat and they ranged all day. I thought the retained eggs were because I was feeding flock raiser with oyster shell always available next to the feed. I read that two little calcium can contribute to retained eggs so I switched to Layena and have not had retained egg problems since. I'm going to see what the difference in fat is between Flock Raiser and Layena.

The remaining hens from that source remain healthy and are laying consistently but not prolifically - they are three years old. I'm hoping they continue to lay nicely for years to come.

If you are curious as to my project mixtures. It consists of. Buckeyes Plymouth white rocks. Dark cornish. and well conditioned CxR hens and roo's. Buckeye X PWR F1(a)-
Dark Cornish X CxR F1(b)- CxR x PWR F1(c) - Dark Cornish x Buckeye F1(d) A-b will breed F2(a2), c-d will breed F2(b2), offspring from a3 and b2 will start my spiral breed program selecting the best. 5 trios of stock and breeding that back to my CxR roos and hens.

What came first? Did the super sized buckeye lead you to meat birds ? Or did you have the meat birds going and then a tiny chick grew and grew and grew until he was supersize?​

Quote:
What came first? Did the super sized buckeye lead you to meat birds ? Or did you have the meat birds going and then a tiny chick grew and grew and grew until he was supersize?

I am a Poultry Farm in the local areas we offer custom processing and slaughter. I spent so much money on cornish X meat birds for customers that I decided to create my own. The buckeye when I got him was young and small. I had no idea he would grow to these sizes infact I will confess My drawing out of what breeds I was gonna use changed so much over time that I finally sat down and decided on what breeds to use. I am 1 year into my project and by my calculations I have aprox 3-4 more years to push before I even show constant results
wink.png
feel free to PM me any questions you might have about my meatbird project Since it is off topic and dont pertain to buckeyes as a breed.
I do raise Buckeyes to the SOP incase you were wondering. or should I say I cull hard and breed to the SOP.
wink.png

Ssssoooorrrrry. I was focused on the use of the Buckeye as a meat bird and that it could contribute to a meat bird cross. Part of my interest in the BUckeyes is it's great meat ability for a dual purpose chicken. Who wants to eat a skimpy bird! ssooorry ! What is the weight of adult Buckeye birds? Is there a huge range in hen weight? Cock weight? Do some strains run smaller(or larger) than others?

Quote:
What came first? Did the super sized buckeye lead you to meat birds ? Or did you have the meat birds going and then a tiny chick grew and grew and grew until he was supersize?

I am a Poultry Farm in the local areas we offer custom processing and slaughter. I spent so much money on cornish X meat birds for customers that I decided to create my own. The buckeye when I got him was young and small. I had no idea he would grow to these sizes infact I will confess My drawing out of what breeds I was gonna use changed so much over time that I finally sat down and decided on what breeds to use. I am 1 year into my project and by my calculations I have aprox 3-4 more years to push before I even show constant results
wink.png
feel free to PM me any questions you might have about my meatbird project Since it is off topic and dont pertain to buckeyes as a breed.
I do raise Buckeyes to the SOP incase you were wondering. or should I say I cull hard and breed to the SOP.
wink.png

This may not pertain just to buckeyes and be slightly off topic, but I am following what you are saying. I am new to chickens, but have studied genetics in college (equine). Can you recommend a good poultry breeding book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom