Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ChickieLady I totally agree, cooked leftover grains are cooked leftover grains. Thats what you start and end with, far better to mix your own then to feed these leftovers sold at premium prices.
rant.gif

Better to buy and feed your own Corn-Oats-Barley with BOSS, and add what minerals you need along with some meat meal.

Quote:
Jake I am starting to think this way after trying different manufacturer's feeds. Do you have any recipes, or ratios that you could share? What minerals to you purchase? Meat meal? I have heard of fish meal. Where does one get meat meal? I have been purchasing beef heart and cutting it. I have had a local hunter give me deer innards(not intestine). But I end up cutting that too. They don't want to eat it whole. Any suggestions?

Quote:
You are so correct.
As far as I know, it is useless "filler" devoid of any nutirents!
And add to that, that the price on this "garbage" has gone up 50% in the last 10 months.
I buy COB type scratch, and mix it.
Occasionally add a 50# sack of rolled oats to 3 sacks of basic poultry.
Add 2 sacks of scratch, and supplementing half the dosage of broiler booster as used for broilers, starting this week, for winter health.

Quote:
Jake I am starting to think this way after trying different manufacturer's feeds. Do you have any recipes, or ratios that you could share? What minerals to you purchase? Meat meal? I have heard of fish meal. Where does one get meat meal? I have been purchasing beef heart and cutting it. I have had a local hunter give me deer innards(not intestine). But I end up cutting that too. They don't want to eat it whole. Any suggestions?

See if you can find food grade bone meal anywhere?
hu.gif

The calcium is great.
I am thinking of adding that.
I have a bunch of broiler booster, though.....after raising meaties.
Next feed run I am looking into FD bone meal.

Jake, didja get snow yet??

Hi Chickie

Yes, we have snow, solid white in the elevations and in the woods here, Sunday is supposed to come heavier, nights are in teens or 20s, days into 30s, so its just a matter of time.

I like to feed COB, a third of each, for the oats and barley I like it steamed and rolled, I use some of the steamed rolled oats for myself. I also add BOSS. And minerals. Back in MI I had a source for fish meal but it was just for young chickens, on layers it made the eggs taste fishy. I need to find both meat meal and fish meal source here in Wa.

It doesnt make sense to me to pay premium prices for substandard feed. And thats what most commercial feeds now are, and only heaven knows how long its been sitting around once packaged.

ga_goat: Are all Buckeye eggs bullett shaped or just the strain I got ?

Mine aren't bullet shaped so it must just be your line strain.​

All 21 of the eggs I got Wed were bullett shaped , they were out of Tn . and when I asked the girl said all of her Buckeyes laid them , and she got the chicks from someone in Ala. but could not remember who . They also were not a full large egg more like a heavy medium , but I'm gonna hatch them anyway , they have been resting in the incubator and will start tomorrow mid morning 36 hours of rest .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom