Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the Sandhill bantams also based on Urch's line?

No clue, but I hear Laura Haggerty has awesome Bantams !
(this would be Pathfinders
wink.png
)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I need to go with a hatchery. I only want a few, and I have terrible luck with eggs. (It is easy to find someone else to go in on a Sandhill order with.)

There are two Buckeye Clubs because there are so many folks who just L-o-v-e Buckeyes.
love.gif

The American Buckeye Club is not affiliated with APA and ABA, but there are members who do belong to the APA/ABA, win at shows, and discuss Buckeye topics with members regardless of whether they are backyard chicken folk or serious show attendees plus everything in between.

The American Buckeye Club seems to be interested in the history of the Buckeye, helping folks find good looking and healthy sources of Buckeyes, preserving all the Buckeye lines and strains, and promoting the breed. At least that's what it seems like to me when I read through member comments.

The American Buckeye Club is free and maintains a public list of breeders and fanciers to buy from. There's nothing to keep you from joining both clubs. They'd both welcome you with open arms. Belonging to one club doesn't mean that you can't belong to the other also.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/126598094076064/ is the Facebook account of the other club.

I have been a member of the ABPC discussion group on Yahoo for some time and find it very interesting and informative. As is this forum. Because I believe you can never get enough information, I attempted to join the ABC group and was denied. My only assumption was that it was because I was a member of the ABPC group. I assumed there was some policy about belonging to both. Thats why I asked the original question. I wanted to know what the differences were. I very recently mailed my membership dues to the ABPC.

I have been a member of the ABPC discussion group on Yahoo for some time and find it very interesting and informative. As is this forum. Because I believe you can never get enough information, I attempted to join the ABC group and was denied. My only assumption was that it was because I was a member of the ABPC group. I assumed there was some policy about belonging to both. Thats why I asked the original question. I wanted to know what the differences were. I very recently mailed my membership dues to the ABPC.

Hey folks, I would suggest we change the subject. Big brother has frowned on this topic.

We must decide if we are selling our last Buckeye male (100% Pathfinders) or steal a hen from someone and start building a flock again.

Hey folks, I wanted to wish everyone who is at a show this weekend the very best of luck! I know there are a lot of folks at the big show in MA, and some folks in GA too, and may all the Buckeyes do well!

Last edited:
No clue, but I hear Laura Haggerty has awesome Bantams !
(this would be Pathfinders
wink.png
)

Actually, (sadly) we got out of our bantams this past summer. Economic necessity. My husband has been told that the newspaper printing plant where he works will be closing in Q4 of this year, and he and 200+ others will be out of work. We're hoping to stay in KY on our farm, but have been narrowing our focus and cutting back in light of this. So now all we have are large fowl Buckeyes (couldn't do without them!)

Last edited:
I heard from the American Buckeye Poultry Club President, Chris McCary last night, that his cockerel won not only CH American, but CH Large Fowl at the NEGAPFA show in Jefferson, Georgia yesterday!

The overall winner of the show was an Old English bird (no surprise in the south!), but I am very pleased that a Buckeye went that far!

Congratulations to Chris, and thanks to the other club members who attended the show, good work everyone!

Laura

And as far as I can tell, Chris is the first breeder of Buckeyes in recent years to win CH American (at the same show last year) and CH Large Fowl. Kudos to Chris for all his hard work with the breed!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom