Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the compliment, Candice, but the credit goes to you as well! I may have provided good quality chicks, but you've obviously raised them well...more than 50% of the equation!

Last edited:
Took this picture last week, they were 12 wks at the time. You can see the difference in combs. This might help you compare in a couple more weeks. Most of mine are pretty obvious when cockerel, but a couple I am still guessing.

Even at a very young age, say 4-6 weeks, I have noticed the males have a very wide (pink) area just above & around the nostrils, long before the combs develope.
This is also true with all pea comb breeds I have worked with before.
That, and as Chris said, the shanks & feet of male chicks are much larger.
The old "sock test" seems to work very good on Buckeyes as well...you get a sock, and dangle it in the brooder pen....or toss it in there, and the pullets will run, the cockerels will immediately come to see what it is ....

Greetings! Looking to start with a couple of Buckeyes this spring here in North Charleston, SC. Anyone with info I where I might be able to get chicks or pullets in or near SC, I would be very interested. Thank you!

Cold here yesterday, last night and today. 16 F with wind this morning but laying is picking up with my Buckeye hens. Three in nest boxes early this morning:

This is a hen I hatched in 2008 so she will be 4 years old next month:

COMPARE WITH
Here is a picture of a Buckeye Hen from 1913 (not much has changed):

Last edited:
Beautiful birds Chris !
And thanks for sharing...love the "Odessa" photo !
My birds are all doing great, laying is picking up but for the 2 broodys have yet to begin lay again !
I just put out 12 Juveniles started birds in a "big bird coop" and so far all is well.

Spring is just around the corner !
My feed stores are advertising hatchery chicks will arrive starting Feb 15th.............time to start selling eggs & chicks is now !
Hopefully we do not get a later snow with this odd ball weather...
Hope you all are doing well !
frow.gif

Beautiful birds, I want some Buckeyes! I curse that old raccoon often for killing my start for last year. Not had any problems lately since we redid our pens with covers/roofs/nets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom