Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just took a peek at your chick pic of the week. They sure are cute little things. Congrats
woot.gif

A picture I took of my Buckeyes as chicks is the BYC picture of the week on the home page!
celebrate.gif
Woohoo for Buckeyes getting some exposure.

The heritage broiler project is very interesting. There is a group here that is trying to sponsor kids who want to raise their meat projects using organic techniques this year.

My experience with the County Fair is that they're generally willing to add new events when they come with a sponsor.

Thanks, everyone. Looking forward to seeing how this goes. The hardcore poultry kids don't think much of the Heritage class. It will be educational to see how this plays out.

We would love to see your Buckeyes at the Coulee Region Poultry Show in Galesville WI on Sat Jun 2.

I hope mine will be large enough to make an appearance, would love to see some great older birds there too!

They are all mobbing the door of the brooder hut! They are acting like Marines!

Atwoods Farm and ranch opened this morning in Monticello, Arkansas. They had Buckeye pullets from Ideal! Not the best quality line, but was nice to see them there. Lots of poultry supplies too!

Are Duane Urch's Buckeyes really that good?

We got 15 on Feb 7.

One has developed a horrible crossed beak. His little skull even looks a bit deformed.

Now I am a little worried that we will see this defect in the offspring of the other birds even if we do not use this particular individual for breeding.

What is the concensus?

I know any two great birds will still sometimes throw offspring that are quite wide of the mark, but I spent so much for these, drove 4 hours round trip, and had such hopes for the boys to start a flock from them....to me this is more than a SOP flaw, but a quality of life flaw that I do not want any future birds to have.

Although he seems to eat fine, looks like he is the largest bird in the pen (of course!)

Quote:
Yes, Urch birds are good. His strain is probably the oldest and one of the most pure too. A cross beak or crooked toe(s) in a Buckeye is an incubator (temperature) problem, so environmental and NOT a genetic issue. He probably won't grow as well because he won't eat as well but if bred, you'd see that you'd get no cross beaks -- unless you had a temperature problem at some point in the incubation as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom