Buckeye Chick Sexing....is it possible?

ma2babygurl13

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Fairborn OH
Is it possible to sex Buckeye Chicks that were born on Easter of this year? I noticed some seem to have a "dark" stripe down the back of their head/neck area? I read somewhere with RIR that this could mean pullet, but would this be true with Buckeyes? Or is it too late to feather sex them? If so the 2 different lengths would mean pullet and all the same length would mean cockerel right? Or can they never be feather sexed?

Hmmm. You'd think a Buckeye breeder would stop in here once in a while and answer these earth shattering questions. (I'm sorta being serious about the "earth shattering" part because when nothing else is going on, figuring out the significance of that line on the back of your Buckeyes' heads becomes an obsession.)

Is the line supposed to be there or not? Is it okay to have that line on the back of the head and a little ways down the back.

Does the line mean female?

And yes, the very defined chipmunks stripes on RIRs are supposed to indicate a female or a better chance at a female. However, Buckeyes aren't RIRs. There's a huge difference.

Back
Top Bottom