Buckeye Club Meeting at the Ohio National 11/14-11/15

Pathfinders

Crowing
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Northern KY
Thought I would let you all know that the American Buckeye Poultry Club (a sanctioned breed club by the APA and ABA) is having a meeting at the Ohio National, most likely on Saturday the 14th of November (still working on the final details.)

If anyone is interested in joining us, please let me know and I'll add you to my list. And for more info, see the Yahoo Group associated with the club here:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/AmericanBuckeyePoultryClub/

Good Morning,

I read a comment about Buckeyes in a earlier post this morning. Would please tell me why they need a higher protein?

Thanks!

They do better with higher protein, especially during their early growth phases. The thing to remember about commercial feeds is that they are formulated (most anyway) with the minimum of things that are needed by poultry. 16% is the minimum protein a layer hen needs to do her job.

Of course, too much of a good thing can be too much. But Heritage birds like Buckeyes, with their Game backgrounds, do better with a higher protein feed.

See this page on the ALBC website for some more info about the protein requirements of Heritage chickens like the Buckeye:

http://albc-usa.org/heritagechicken/faqs.html

Scroll down to this subhead: Chicken Care and Keeping

Actually, most chickens could do better on a higher protein feed. You've got to remember that commercial feed is made for commercial flocks, none of which are expected to live for very long. I use 30% game bird feed to mix with all my other feeds to increase the protein. I don't get up to that 28% on everything, but breeders have said they can tell the difference even on keeping it over 20%.

PS On topic, Hi Laura, I'm already on you list, see you there!

Last edited:
Looking forward to it (going to be a crazy weekend!)
wink.png

Hey Laura & all:

Looking forward to meeting all of you. I think the Buckeye Club ought to meet earlier in the day on Saturday at the Ohio National like you suggested so we won't be pushed & tired.

On the protein question: I feed my Buckeyes 30% protein Game Bird Startena (unmedicated) feed for about the first 10-12 weeks, then I drop it down to a 19% protein Game Bird Feed. The Game Bird feed also has the much needed animal protein sources as well as the plant protein.

Chris McCary (Alabama)

Back
Top Bottom