Buckeye egg color

92caddy

Egg Lover
12 Years
May 18, 2007
Portland, IN
How dark is a buckeye egg? I was at an auction the other day and they had some fertile hatching buckeye eggs there, they were real light tan, I was thinking they would have been alot darker then these eggs were, but I had no idea, so I thought I would ask here. I didnt stay long enough to see what they went for, sorry. I had forgot about them to be honest, or I would have stay longer. The sale was in DeGraff OH at Jackson Livestock Auction L.L.C..........

The frist Buckeyes we purchased lay big medium dark speckled eggs--very pretty. The next bunch of Buckeyes we bought lay a light cream brown egg, and we aren't happy with the shape or shell quality.

idunno.gif
I'm not sure what's 'correct'.

We prefer the medium dark speckled egg, so we are selecting that along with everything else. Our F1 has a darker egg with a better shell--no speckles yet.

Thanks, these eggs were a real light cream color, I just thought that they should or would lay a darker egg, but I really had no clue................

I raise standard Cornish too, and I have to say looking at the heads of our second batch and the egg--it screams Cornish.

The first batch of Buckeyes we did an out cross with a straight comb roo. A couple of the chicks had straight combs instead of pea combs--so we know those aren't pure either. I suspect Wellsummer.

Who knows. We are trying to clean up what we've got. They really are beautiful birds, and I just love how hard working the hens are out in the pastures.

The eggs I saw were alot lighter then the ones in the pic. I was expecting a darker egg from such a drak bird. Thanks everyone for the info and help..................

Back
Top Bottom