Buckeye X Cornish X breeding project. Third generation pics pg. 20

Quote:
I somehow missed the latest news on this thread.
Jeff, it has always amazed me how long recessive traits [or even so-called incomplete dominate traits] stay hidden; they seem most likely to resurface as intensive linebreeding or inbreeding is used on a line. Thanks for the update, and best wishes for better hatches in the future.
I didn't know Buckeyes were rumored to have Cochin in their history. Coincidently, the eggs I recently set [not from my stock] originated from an accidental cross of Cochin/white Cornish. As time went on and two other breeds were added for another person's project, those of the clean legged offspring that resembed their Cornish ancestors were eventually crossed back to pure white Cornish; resulting in a huge Cornish-type bird.

Steve,

I ended up with two black chicks from the latest hatch. One ended up making it. However it's odd that's it's black? I'm clueless with genetics but it's awesome to see the different hatches.

Itsy,

I'm to the point where the f1 crosses are now being bred back to a buckeye rooster. The offspring is extremely interesting and will get pics up here soon. I have a ton going on right now as it's our busy season but should be slowing down once the gardens are all planted.

Currently the first cross is already to breeding age and their offspring are day to 3 weeks old. Will have another batch of 13 hatch here in a couple weeks and then I'm done until fall. Way too busy now to care for them. This is just a small side project I'm trying out.

Steve,

I ended up with two black chicks from the latest hatch. One ended up making it. However it's odd that's it's black? I'm clueless with genetics but it's awesome to see the different hatches.

Yes, you should expect 1/4 of the chicks to be black, probably some of the blacks developing a little red as they feather, the red leakage being more likely on the necks and shoulders of the males. The CX were dominate white; which is basicly a black chicken with two copies of dominate white. When a CX is crossed to a red Buckeye, the chicks would be mostly white or white with black and/or red splotches showing..................... because they now have only one copy of dominate white, and their own black or the Buckeye's red starts bleeding through. When you take these Buckeye X CX crossbreds back to the Buckeye, half the chicks will have no copy of dominate white, and half of those with no dominate white will be black. Also in this 3rd generation, I believe a few of the reds may be colored like a Buckeye but with white replacing any dark feathers that Buckeyes have. If Buckeyes have black tails........... [I'm not sure of Buckeye's color and genotype]............... some may be white tailed now.

edited for clarity​

Last edited:
Ok here are some pics of the second generation crosses. I'm done hatching for the year in the incubator as I have too much going on as is and honestly don't have time to devote to it. These were just impulse hatches because it was so crazy rainy here in Ohio that I didn't have much else to do. However I will be letting hens sit on there eggs all summer if they choose to do so. Funny thing is I have three broody hens currently and they each have about 8-12 eggs each under them. Hopefully they all hatch or at least some of them do.

Secondly don't mind the PJ attire as it is sunday morning... at least there isn't any pictures of the bed head! LOL. Anyhow here is the breakdown of the pics.

IMG_0475.jpg

Pic one: is of one of the crosses, the only one with feathered legs. Really cool. As I believe the cochin was used to produce the Buckeyes, I'm going to stick with that story as it's pretty interesting. The lines the buckeyes came from sound promising but it's hard to say how pure they really are.

IMG_0474.jpg

Pic two: both crosses one week apart. One is red and the other is white.

IMG_0473.jpg

Pic three: both are the same age and the one on the right is the cross and the one on the left is a pure breed Buckeye. The cross is mind boggling bigger than it's pure brother.

IMG_0472.jpg

Pic four: is the cross from pic two and shows the coloring of the feathers. The white color is tinted with the red from the Buckeye, notice the single comb coming through.

IMG_0466.jpg

Pic five: is another pic from the "brothers" both same age the bigger one is the cross and the smaller one is the pure breed Buckeye.

IMG_0454.jpg

Pic six: two of the crosses, one is of the lighter version and the other the feather footed version.

IMG_0446.jpg

Pic seven: chick on the left is a first generation cross from the CX x Buckeye one of two. Done with these crosses the last hens were processed for soup. The chick on the right is the black chick, and like Steve stated... you can see the red in the face coming through.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. That pure Buckeye chick has some heavy shanks on it and looks like it will be a nice one............................... but interesting on its 1/2 brother that the CX influence is still so strong and keeping the size, rapid grow, and quick feathering traits going.

Quote:
I believe the purpose here is to get bird that will have the rapid growth that is achieved with the CRX, but have new breeds mixed in to increase its ability to forage/free range? That is the quality that most CRX lack. If he were to start with something other than CRX hens, it would take numerous generations to achieve what has already been accomplished with the CRX. Why remake the wheel? Some of us are trying, but it will take years.

Back
Top Bottom