Buckeyes for meat

bigredfeather

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Yorkshire, Ohio
I had two 17 week old Buckeyes butchered on Thursday. They were they biggest of my "extra" roos. I was very impressed with the way they dressed. Saturday I grilled one of the Buckeyes and two Cornish X's. The Buckeyes looked very similiar to the Cornishes after they were halved. The biggest difference was that the Buckeye wasn't quite as thick and the breast was a little smaller. It was absolutely delicious. I would almost go as far to say that I prefered the Buckye over the Cornish.

I think my Cornish raising days are over. After this summer, I will have Buckeyes, Buff Orpinton, and Dark Cornishes in my flock. I haven't eaten any Buffs or DC, but I have a feeling I will be able to hatch and raise all these breeds to accomidate my families meat bird needs.

I just bought 15 buckeye chicks for layers and breeding. They are a dual purpose bird. You could say 2 types of bird for the same price.
Can't wait until they grow up.
wee.gif

If you want to keep a breeding flock to renew with instead of buying chicks each year check out the ALBC site. They have articals from Buckeye breeders in the Heritage Chicken area. In the resource section there are 3 of them just on selection/breeding for meat,eggs and improving stock. If you join ALBC you will be intouch with alot of Buckeye breeders that are working on meat qualities as well as laying ability. Yes, it can be done for that was what they were meant for, it just take a bit of time.

Back
Top Bottom