Budget automatic coop door or diy?

If you give me your Country(I'll change my VPN to match) and budget for the Solar Charging system I can search for the best possible kit, for you. I cannot see the price for the one you linked to, so I cannot give you the best possible opinion on it. However I can give you this.

1. The wires maybe too small. They might work for you small low wattage/Amps setup but is you wanted to add lights or feeder to your setup, the wires from the battery to charge controller are too small. Reason I bring this up is that the SONOFF 4CHPROR3 and MHCOZY 4 Channel Smart WiFi RF Bluetooth Wireless both have 4Chs. Two for the door and two more for whatever you need. In the future you may want to use those. Like adding LED lights, A timed/manual Chicken feeder to dispense treats, or even a perimeter solenoid controlled water sprinkler system that scares off predators when they get too close. Or even a fan and vent door to open and close for hot & humid days and nights.

2. I don't like the fact that on the product page, they show TWO different images for the charge controller. Makes me think that you may not get the one you want and it seems like the seller would be less reliable.

3. The connector types are ok but I prefer many others for their capability to be put on different sized wires. They don't sell these type of connector, that you can put on wire yourself. You have to by them in premade lengths of wire. So you might have too much wire left hanging or WORSE , NOT enough wire to make it to the controller/door. Remember your best place to mount the solar panel may be farther to the controller/door then the wire supplied might be.

Here are some more suggestions, that I personally would actually buy, if I was to purchase an actual kit. Listed from least to best (least not meaning quality, I would just prefer the last on the list)

SUNSUL 30 Watt 12V Solar Panel Kit Battery Maintainer Trickle Charger $59.99

HQST 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel Kit with 10A PWM Charge Controller $109.86

Topsolar Solar Panel Kit 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Off Grid System $138.98

I, myself would buy separately, but if was to buy a kit, it would be one of last two or something very close to it. The connectors, splitters and extensions are very easy to find.

Here is the diagram of what it may look like.

View attachment 3107912

View attachment 3107913 View attachment 3107914
I’m going to do my best to follow this without the solar panel as I plan to use a rechargeable 12v battery (I have two so I’ll always have one charged 👍🏻). I have my 12 inch linear actuator and I originally had a timer I planned to connect to my relay (with battery) (and a little indicator light so I could easily see from inside if it was working). My question is about the SONOFF - which almost sounds too good to be true - does the app for it allow for timing on opening and closing? I’d love to be able to set it to a timer (but also use the app to control it manually if I choose).

I also like how you mentioned other automations - you’ve got me thinking now!

Fwiw, I’m way over my head on this but that’s never stopped me from failing forward before so it’s not a hindrance now either. 😂 (Thankfully my kid is a chemical engineer and has some engineering experience - she’s help me enough to feel like I could actually stumble through this!)

THANK YOU!

I’m going to do my best to follow this without the solar panel as I plan to use a rechargeable 12v battery (I have two so I’ll always have one charged 👍🏻). I have my 12 inch linear actuator and I originally had a timer I planned to connect to my relay (with battery) (and a little indicator light so I could easily see from inside if it was working). My question is about the SONOFF - which almost sounds too good to be true - does the app for it allow for timing on opening and closing? I’d love to be able to set it to a timer (but also use the app to control it manually if I choose).

I also like how you mentioned other automations - you’ve got me thinking now!

Fwiw, I’m way over my head on this but that’s never stopped me from failing forward before so it’s not a hindrance now either. 😂 (Thankfully my kid is a chemical engineer and has some engineering experience - she’s help me enough to feel like I could actually stumble through this!)

THANK YOU!

"My question is about the SONOFF - which almost sounds too good to be true - does the app for it allow for timing on opening and closing?"

YES it does. It also , through app, can be set to open and close at sunrise and sunset, according to the astronomical calendar. I suggest to have it closed an hour AFTER sunset.

" I’d love to be able to set it to a timer (but also use the app to control it manually if I choose)."

You can do that. You can make a scene to turn ON a channel (to OPEN) then turn it OFF after any given amount of time you choose. To CLOSE turn ON the other channel and set it for whatever amount of time, then it to will turn OFF.

NOTE the amount of time is only for the time that the channel will remain on. It does not control the speed of the actuator.

Can also be controlled through RF Remote Control.

The SONOFF 4CHPROR3 and MHCOZY 4 Channel Smart WiFi RF Bluetooth Wireless

both have:
  • 4Chs.
  • "Manual" control buttons
  • RF (Radio Frequency aka remote controllable)
  • WiFi
  • Can be controlled "Manually" from smart phone
  • Can be controlled "Automatically" by a set of actions dictated by things called "Scenes" that you set up. These can be anything like:
    • Sunrise and Sunset times that are for your location.
    • Times of your choosing
    • Triggers from the devise itself or other smart devices
  • Can be controlled by voice through Google or Alexa
  • Easy mounting by DIN Rail.
  • Screw terminals
  • I believe they are both 5 to 34 DC volt capable.
  • 10 Amp

SONOFF
SONOFF 4CH Pro R3 Wi-Fi Smart Switch 4-Channel Din Rail Mounting Home Automation, Self-Locking/Interlock Control Home Appliances, RF/APP/Voice/LAN Control, Works with Alexa
  • Is very sturdy and can be mounted both to a panel/surface mount or DIN rail.
  • has indicator LEDs for what Channel is on or off.
  • Wish they would Use screw terminals for the DC power input, you have to either use a wall wart or an adapter connector to use DC
  • You can use AC mains power. Has screw terminals for that.

MHCOZY
MHCOZY 4 Channel USB 5V AC/DC 7-32V Smart WiFi Wireless Relay Switch Module, eWelink app Remote Control, Work with Alexa Google Home
  • Has screw terminals for DC power
  • Has USB connector for 5v DC power
  • Does NOT have any sight windows for the LED indicator on or off.
  • a lot smaller takes up less room.
  • One major thing I like is that you can interlock two of the channels. The SONOFF has to be programmed in steps(scenes) to do that. Interlock is so when one channel is turned ON (open or close) the other channel gets turned off. If both channels are ON at the same time the door won't open or close.

SONOFF

SONOFF Distro Snap WAGO Squiggle Wiggle Wiggle.png

MHCOZY

MHCOZY 1 Linear Actuator Distro Snap WAGO.png

Disclosure: the links to the SONOFF and MHCOZY are affiliated links. I have purchased and use the ones linked to but I have also purchased from Aliexpress. Shop around and get a deal.

Last edited:
"My question is about the SONOFF - which almost sounds too good to be true - does the app for it allow for timing on opening and closing?"

YES it does. It also , through app, can be set to open and close at sunrise and sunset, according to the astronomical calendar. I suggest to have it closed an hour AFTER sunset.

" I’d love to be able to set it to a timer (but also use the app to control it manually if I choose)."

You can do that. You can make a scene to turn on a channel (to open) then turn it off after any given amount of time you choose. Then turn off. To close turn on the other channel and set it for whatever amount of time, then it to will turn off.

NOTE the amount of time is only for the time that the channel will remain on. It does not control the speed of the actuator.

Can also be be controlled through RF Remote Control.

The SONOFF 4CHPROR3 and MHCOZY 4 Channel Smart WiFi RF Bluetooth Wireless

both have:
  • 4Chs.
  • "Manual" control buttons
  • RF (Radio Frequency aka remote controllable)
  • WiFi
  • Can be controlled "manually" from smart phone
  • Can be controlled "Automatically" by a set of actions dictated by things called "Scenes" that you set up. These can be anything like:
    • Sunrise and Sunset times that are for your location.
    • Times of your choosing
    • Triggers from the devise itself or other smart devices
  • Can be controlled by voice through Google or Alexa
  • Easy mounting by DIN Rail.
  • Screw terminals
  • I believe they are both 5 to 34 DC volt capable.
  • 10 Amp
SONOFF 4CH Pro R3 Wi-Fi Smart Switch 4-Channel Din Rail Mounting Home Automation, Self-Locking/Interlock Control Home Appliances, RF/APP/Voice/LAN Control, Works with Alexa
  • Is very sturdy and can be mounted both to a panel/surface mount or DIN rail.
  • has indicator LEDs for what Channel is on or off.
  • Wish they would Use screw terminals for the DC power input, you have to either use a wall wart or an adapter connector to use DC
  • You can use AC mains power. Has screw terminals for that.
MHCOZY 4 Channel USB 5V AC/DC 7-32V Smart WiFi Wireless Relay Switch Module, eWelink app Remote Control, Work with Alexa Google Home
  • Has screw terminals for DC power
  • Has USB connector for 5v DC power
  • Does NOT have any sight windows for the LED indicator on or off.
  • a lot smaller takes up less room.
  • One major thing I like is that you can interlock two of the channels. The SONOFF has to be programmed in steps(scenes) to do that. Interlock is so when one channel is turned ON (open or close) the other channel gets turned off. If both channels are ON at the same time the door won't open or close.
SONOFF

View attachment 3176541

MHCOZY

View attachment 3176561

Disclosure: the links to the SONOFF and MHCOZY are affiliated links. I have purchased and use the ones linked to but I have also purchased from Aliexpress. Shop around and get a deal.
this is awesome! i can purchase the SONOFF you have linked if that’s what i’m supposed to have - I already purchased the one pictured in my reply tho - is it the wrong one? any reason i wouldn’t use it?

i appreciate the help with the pics! the only bit i’m unfamiliar with is what I have circled in the attached pic. that and I’m unsure where i’d run the led indicator light I plan to use to see if it’s closed at night. i’m thinking it needs to be connected to the actuator, but wired after it? not sure with the pic tbh.

Attachments

• DBAE4C6F-31B8-46B2-8AC9-FBB22A3146A8.jpeg
    DBAE4C6F-31B8-46B2-8AC9-FBB22A3146A8.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 7
  • FFC1298E-2A10-4A65-985B-2CB66847F74D.jpeg
    FFC1298E-2A10-4A65-985B-2CB66847F74D.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 6
this is awesome! i can purchase the SONOFF you have linked if that’s what i’m supposed to have - I already purchased the one pictured in my reply tho - is it the wrong one? any reason i wouldn’t use it?

i appreciate the help with the pics! the only bit i’m unfamiliar with is what I have circled in the attached pic. that and I’m unsure where i’d run the led indicator light I plan to use to see if it’s closed at night. i’m thinking it needs to be connected to the actuator, but wired after it? not sure with the pic tbh.
I just want to make sure we are on the same page. Which one of these did you purchase? The MHCOZY 4CH or the SONOFF 4CH PRO R3? Either one will work and do the job. I LOVE the SONOFF 4CH PRO R3 but the MHCOZY 4CH has a few features that I really like. So I prefer the the MHCOZY just a BIT more.
  • Cheaper
  • The Channel specific Interlock
  • Smaller
  • Screw terminals for the power so an adapter is not needed.
MHCOZY SONOFF.png

As far as the door open and closed indicator light, there are so many different ways to do that but I will give you two of the simplest ways to do it.

#1. Is simple, cheap and very low tech. You can chose to go through the Smart Switch (MHCOZY or SONOFF) and then to the Limit Switch. This way allows you to save power by giving power to the Indicator Light Feature ONLY when it is time for the door to close AND a set time after. Say only for a few hours after the door should be closed, since that's when you will most likely check if the door closed. You can also check on it by turning on the channel on the smart switch. Say you came home late and want to check if door is closed all you have to do is turn on the smart switch channel with your remote or phone app.

MHCOZY 1 Linear Actuator Distro Snap WAGO wIndicator Light.png

#2 Is still very simple but gives you more options. However it is battery operated. It makes use of a SONOFF DW2 Wi-Fi Wireless Door Window Sensor, APP Alert for Home Automation Wireless Alarm Security System, Compatible with IFTTT, No Gateway Required. Circled in Pink. You can set this up to signal/trigger the Smart Switch and tell it to turn on the light and set a timer to save power. You can also set it up to send you a notification, to your phone, that the door is closed. You can check the status of the door at anytime with the app.

MHCOZY 1 Linear Actuator Distro Snap WAGO wIndicator Light wDoor Sensor.png

"the only bit i’m unfamiliar with is what I have circled in the attached pic."

If you are asking as to the connectors that I am illustrating, those are WAGO type snap connectors. These are great for this sort of stuff.

612JEkAZhdL._SL1500_.jpg

I also use these Din Rail Connectors Terminal kit. they make it so much easier to organize and install. Even tho your install is not that complex it does help with installing, troubleshooting, maintaining and repair. So I highly recommend. If you do get these go through all of them and make sure the levers work and the screws all screw in. I purchase these A LOT and sometimes the levers do not work and screws do not screw in. However Amazon is very quick to send out another set that you can pick good working ones for replacements and you can send the rest back.

51fQqedwniL._SL1001_.jpg
514-3UMHLpL._SL1001_.jpg
51rpJiXoFWL._SL1001_.jpg

In this picture I am using both in a DEMO setup of a door safety return up down feature that keeps the chickens from being squashed.

20211209_232528.jpg

Din rail for mounting it all.

610uUt-RE3L._SL1242_.jpg

Last I recommend a Ferrule Crimping Tool Kit , I purchased this one and it is awesome. price has gone up tho. Not necessary but they greatly help when inserting the wire. This kit is cheaper.

81lfM2cpPoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thank you.

Last edited:
oh man, are you ever helpful! i ordered all you suggested and it will be here all by Saturday. I will return the SONOFF I purchased already because you sold me on the MHCOZY 4CH.

I am still finishing the coop but will work on this over the weekend with my son. Hopefully I’ll be posting in here to show you what I’ve pulled off - but I suspect I may have some questions along the way. 👍🏻💫

oh man, are you ever helpful! i ordered all you suggested and it will be here all by Saturday. I will return the SONOFF I purchased already because you sold me on the MHCOZY 4CH.

I am still finishing the coop but will work on this over the weekend with my son. Hopefully I’ll be posting in here to show you what I’ve pulled off - but I suspect I may have some questions along the way. 👍🏻💫
I'm glad I can be helpful to you. Thank you. Looking forward to pix and updates. Feel free to ask any questions, I will do my best to answer them.

Last edited:
OOPs! Sorry I forgot to add that the remote it comes with does NOT come with a battery. "2.4G RF(without battery, battery model CR2032)" I contacted the seller and told them that they only mentioned it once and not in a good place. So the fixed that and now mention it in several places. I hope you saw it.

Back
Top Bottom