Budgie... Is "he" a female?!

brierose3

Songster
7 Years
Jan 15, 2013
Central Coast, Australia
We have had nico for about a year now and when we first got him he had a blue cere. The breeder told us that it was definitely a male but I have noticed nico is really quiet especially compared to close friends noisy budgies. Nico lies down at the bottom of his cage in the afternoons with his head in the corner. Probably because it is extremley hot lately in Australia going from 20 degrees celcius to 50 in a couple of days. He is very active and playful and very friendly. Will sit on my hand for a long time making me scratch his head and ruffle his feathers. But recently I've noticed that his cere has gone from a light blue to a dark crusty brown. I've read somewhere that that means "he" could be a female and in breeding season. What do you think?

Here's a photo of nico a couple months after we got him...

And here's him about a week ago. Sorry I will try to get a clear, recent photo as the cere has gotten darker. And excuse his messy raspberry juice face

Last edited:
Your instincts are right that is a hen lutino, a young male would have a pink cere where as a female has a blue/white cere that turns to brown, I love yellow budgies!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom