Debbie292d

Silkie Mom
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
Jul 22, 2021
EC Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
Has anyone dealt with a macaw or parrot with kidney disease or disorder? We have two blue and gold macaws, Sophie, who is 15, I've had since she was 6 months. Julio was a rescue about 3 years ago from a sanctuary. About a year ago, I noticed he was out drinking her two water bottles to her one. I bought him a second bottle to keep up with hers. He poops water most of the time, so I have a kitty litter box filled with horse bedding pellets under where he stands most of the time, as I couldn't keep up with his cage cleaning otherwise.

When I researched this, I found it's not rare to have a parrot such as him develop kidney disorders. In reading up on it, it sounds like that's what he's got. I have no idea of his background to know what caused it, but in his three years with us, he gets the same food, water, and treats Sophie gets, and she's been fine.

There isn't a good prognosis for him. I will not opt for any surgeries or, most likely, any medication. He's got a good life here, so I guess he'll just keep going like this? He's not in any pain, that I can tell, is still sassy, although he's fallen from his perch a couple of times, so I wonder if he's getting dizzy.

The closest vet that can see him is an hour away, so I guess I should at least get him in for some tests, but it's pretty obvious what he's got.

I'm just curious if anyone else has a bird they've gone through this with.

Excess water drinking can be a sign of an infection/inflammation. Get a vet's prognosis to be sure.
They were to a vet about two years ago for their once-a-decade visit, and had their poop, crop, and feathers tested and nothing found wrong then. Both eat/drink the same things just he's drinking double what she does. I agree I should try get him to that vet again although they aren't due again for 8 years lol.

Excess water drinking can be a sign of an infection/inflammation. Get a vet's prognosis to be sure.
Our initial avian vet had retired. I left my info and phone number at four vets.

I finally found someone to see him. This vet initially also thought kidney disorder so did a full and expensive workup including blood tests and determined no kidney ailment and no diabetes but highly suspects a tumor on his pituitary gland could cause this. She said there isn't a cure but I could prolong his life by using either soft water or bottled water instead of our well water. Just passing this on in case anyone else has a bird drinking or pooping excess water.

My only good news is this new avian vet is only a 20-minute drive and said she'd also see my chickens if I ever needed help. ☺️

Our initial avian vet had retired. I left my info and phone number at four vets.

I finally found someone to see him. This vet initially also thought kidney disorder so did a full and expensive workup including blood tests and determined no kidney ailment and no diabetes but highly suspects a tumor on his pituitary gland could cause this. She said there isn't a cure but I could prolong his life by using either soft water or bottled water instead of our well water. Just passing this on in case anyone else has a bird drinking or pooping excess water.

My only good news is this new avian vet is only a 20-minute drive and said she'd also see my chickens if I ever needed help. ☺️
Glad you got him to a vet. Hopefully the little guy will be alright.

This is why parrots need to go to a vet yearly, not every ten years. By the time you notice something is wrong, something has already been wrong for a while. I don't know where you got the idea that they need a physical only once every ten years, but that is very wrong.

This is why parrots need to go to a vet yearly, not every ten years. By the time you notice something is wrong, something has already been wrong for a while. I don't know where you got the idea that they need a physical only once every ten years, but that is very wrong.
I took the first one to the vet right away for her 1st birthday and was told that by the vet. She said bring her back every year for weighing if you want, or just weigh her yourself and let them know if any issues come up and for a 10-year check-up. She's 25 now and has had never had a problem.

Julio, the sick one, could have had monthly visits and they'd have never found anything wrong. He's a rescue and had already been vet-checked prior to us taking him. My guess is he was fed wrong. When I noticed a switch in how much he drinks and started pooping so much water, I brought him to a vet who drew his blood and sent it off to a lab.

Thanks for your concern, but 25 years of raising parrot(s) and doing just fine.

Pretty much every other species goes in yearly such as humans, dogs, cats, etc. so I feel like parrots should too. But obviously you care about your birds or you wouldn’t have taken him to the vet when he got sick.

I took the first one to the vet right away for her 1st birthday and was told that by the vet. She said bring her back every year for weighing if you want, or just weigh her yourself and let them know if any issues come up and for a 10-year check-up. She's 25 now and has had never had a problem.

Julio, the sick one, could have had monthly visits and they'd have never found anything wrong. He's a rescue and had already been vet-checked prior to us taking him. My guess is he was fed wrong. When I noticed a switch in how much he drinks and started pooping so much water, I brought him to a vet who drew his blood and sent it off to a lab.

Thanks for your concern, but 25 years of raising parrot(s) and doing just fine.
If all the vet planned to do at visits is "weighing", then this isn't an avian vet. There's a difference. If you do some googling about "how often should a parrot see a vet?", you'll find that what you were told was wrong. Once a year they should have blood and feces checked for signs of infection or organ dysfunction which would show up in tests before outward symptoms do.

My DYH amazon turns 33 in a few months. I've had him since he was 7, and he's not my first nor only parrot. At his age, he's considered geriatric, not because he's near death, but because this is when issues start to creep up. His blood work is all fine, but other amazons with less-than-ideal care by his age will be showing problems that could shorten lifespan.

"25 years raising parrots and doing just fine." Except for that kidney thing. And is it just the two? If something goes wrong and you lose your bird, 25 years for a large macaw is not a "success story."

Please plan to bring your birds in for annual physicals with an avian vet, not just a general dog/cat vet. Considering all the information out there in the parrot-keeping world, that an "avian vet" said to come back every ten years is just "wow".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom