Budgie sexes?

Ruby Rogue

Free Ranging
Mar 31, 2020
Atlantic Canada
I adopted these two 2 year old budgies a couple of weeks ago. I was told they were female siblings, but I'm starting to wonder if that's correct.

At first I thought female, both seemed territorial and like to bicker over the food etc. I added another food dish and a mirror with a perch which made a huge difference. But I'm wondering if what I first viewed as female territorial behavior is actually mating behaviour. The slightly bigger one with the lighter cere seems to follow the female around, and she just seems annoyed by him.

So! Pics!

Are they girls? Or do I have a brother and sister pair? Will the bickering ever stop?

Attachments

• IMG_20210113_1107598.jpg
    IMG_20210113_1107598.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210113_1107590.jpg
    IMG_20210113_1107590.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 19
One on the right is for sure a female with the brown crusty cere. That's a mature female. The other one I actually believe is a male. Depending on the mutation the blue shows up or may stay a deep pink like this. Can you get a closer picture? I am 99% sure you have a male and female.

One on the right is for sure a female with the brown crusty cere. That's a mature female. The other one I actually believe is a male. Depending on the mutation the blue shows up or may stay a deep pink like this. Can you get a closer picture? I am 99% sure you have a male and female.

I was considering if it might be male too, but I decided the cere looked more brown than pink. I think some more pictures would help here.

thanks

They are both mature, over 2 years old. Does the cere colour change during their mating or breeding stages? I guess I'm asking, will the darker cere lighten and will the lighter cere darken at different stages of their lives?

Back
Top Bottom