Budgies

I used to have Budgies, now I have Lovebirds. The budgies were okay but only if you can get them from a good breeder who hand raises them. If you don't get a hand raised one you better be ready for a very nippy, skittish bird that won't sit on your finger.

I love my parakeets. They are super easy to take care of as long as you provide them with everything they physically need as well as entertainment( in my case other parakeets and toys that are rotated frequently). I have a group of four and they are fun to watch especially when they come out of their cage and fly in the evening. I guess maybe the key here is watch as opposed to a lot of physical interaction other than talking to them. Mine are not snugglers and only step up on my fingers for treats.The only downfalls, if you want to consider them that, is how messy they are. I still can't figure out how they throw food so far and according to my teens at the house they are too loud. I on the other hand love when they start up in the morning, they sound so happy and I get the added bonus of bugging the kids lol! I am not sure about actually raising them to sell. I just had to finish feeding out an unweaned larger parrot. It is not a job for a novice, such as myself. I will not buy another unweaned bird. I can't imagine it being financially rewarding if you have to hand feed. To me It is time consuming, nerve wracking and expensive. I think the single breeder that is raising parakeets/budgies must be doing it for the love of the bird as opposed to the money.

Flowerchlk, A HUGE LOL bugging the kids,,I really needed that I had bad day yesterday and I was readding your post it really made me laugh (I lost one of my females cockateil bad day)
my kids moved out,but when they where younger I loved how my cockatoo Lady always was bugging my daughter, Lady, loved her human sister but Jess (human sister) was so jealous over lady. Everyyear Jess had her friends over on her birthday Lady stoled her day, Lady would get on the floor, her wings out jumping like a rabbit, jess freinds would all sit on the floor playing ball with lady.Lol jess arms crossed over her chest her face pure green with jealous, standing back I saw steam coming from her head. I swear lady and jess was truly sisters, I just would say jess at least she doesn't borrow your clothes lol.
And you are so right about breeding, I do it for the love not for money, if you had the bigger birds then yes you are able to make money, but you would need I think 12 pairs of large birds (that would pay for food and the biggie vet) one of my freinds would send me her lovebirds, I would hand feed them for her because I love doing it, I wouldn't charge her ....:lol:
Thank you for the laughter :)

Your welcome, and I am so very sorry about you losing your girl! When I lose a beloved pet, my husband always tells me that I have provided a wonderful loving, life for my loved one and that I did everything at their end of time to make them feel loved and comfortable as possible. I still miss them terribly, but it does help to know that when they were with me I did do everything I could to make sure they were well cared for and happy. I am sure you do the same for yours. As hard as it is to bring in another friend after one is gone, I always do. I have far too much love to share with others that may need care and love. My heart hurts for you.
hit.gif

Those greys are quite the show stealer! Ours is the absolute center of attention. My husband even stayed home from hunting (which he never does) to spend time with him! LOL

They look very cute, I had one like the blue one you have his name was Bam Bam he was really nice, my other one female she is green very sweet her name is Pebbles, as of right know Pebble wasn't feeling good it might have been a stroke she is 7 years old, we have her under a heat lamp, she was active last night, she loves watching the teils, and the cockateils was climbing up and down pebbles cage lol, pebbles was on her swing and was happy, this morning she is on the floor of her cage under the oxygen tube we put in her cage, just gotta watch her.

Rhodes island, are you going to pull the baby's out or let the parents feed them when its time to pull them.lol I would go nuts handfeeding those tiny beaks :)

Flinstones names, right? I got Honey when she was a baby. Chirp i got when he was full grown. Honey loves swinging on her swing! Sometimes she is just sitting on her swing and chirp reaches up from the perch nearby and kisses her. Its so funny and cute to watch! I love my budgies.

Lol yup flintstone, I have a lovebird his name is Chripy he is so funny. Chripy has not a clue that he is a lovebird, he was raised with baby cockateils. I had him in a plastic tub with a stuff animal and his buddy was a cockateils named Scruffy. When it was time for bed as in Chripy saying HEY DUDE ITS BED TIME, Chripy would stand in the lip of their box "yelling at Scuffy to go home, Chirpy would then climb down yell at Scuffy, lol Scuffy with his head down would very slowly climb up to their box, Scuffy had his head down pouting all the way home.then I would check tgem and cover the tub, Chripy and Scruffy was sound asleep next to the stuff animal. To this day, they have a cage together, lol they are bonded, Chripy does not act like a lovebird at all,he acts like a cockateils.:)

Back
Top Bottom