buff and red genes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TimG, Apr 21, 2009.

1. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Hutt say in Genetics of the Fowl that "the genes that make buffs different in color from Rhode Island Reds have yet to be discovered". That was in the 1940s (I think). Is this still the case?

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

More is known about buff these days. [​IMG]

3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Well buff is gold and there are red enhancer genes that make buff red or mahogony.

4. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I assumed that was the case. A quick summary?

5. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Buff is still a mystery, especially the genes that make the black go away.

Buff is a combination of the wildtype/gold groundcolor with red enhancers like mahogany (Mh) and diluters like Dilute (Di) and/or Cream (ig).
    Champagne blond is also mentioned but poorly documented.
    Buffs are often wheaten based which is the most permissive extension allele for red expression.

These factors and columbian-like restrictors like columbian (Co) and maybe darkbrown (Db) are enhancing and diluting the pigments into a more uniform buff mix. Leave one factor out and you get a different tint.

Finally some buffs contain dominant white or maybe even dun/khaki.
    These can not be seen on a good buff animal for all the pattern is selected away.
    Dominant white can have a typical effect on the buff color making it warm and yellow/gold looking. I have seen this in my hamburgh crosslings but not in my vorwerk crosslings. Hamburghs have darkbrown Db, vorwerks don't.

RIR should not have any form of red inhibition/dilution.
    New hampshire is said to have additional dilute Di, although the tint is similar to gold breeds that have autosomal barring (darkbrown present).
    I for one can imagine new hampshire to be without mahogany Mh and compensating dilute Di.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    There is a great online book called Buff Coloration in Poultry by D.J. Honour that helps with understanding some more recent works with buff color. I have a print version, but I'll see if I can find the link for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by