Buff Barred Cochin Thread

Should we follow the written definition for the lemon cuckoo variety taken from Orpingtons then, or has someone written a standard for the Buff Barred Cochin already? As I stated earlier, I <3 both the light & dark barring but I don't know which one is preferred.

There is a standard already written for both the cuckoo variety and barred variety, we are just addding the color buff. Both are feather patterns varieties which are explained in the Bantam Standard. Cuckoo is more of a broken pattern where barred isa more even, crisper and cleaner pattern.

Last edited:
Yes, both girls from me are barred.

I've never gotten a double barred pullet. That's why, this year I've decided to try the double barred cockerel with both Buff pullets & BB pullets to see what I get. I guess time will tell :confused:

The way I understand the genetics is you will never get a double barred pullet, girls can only carry 1 barring gene. Also, you have to remember that breeding buff(for this point breeding buff without the barring) you still get dark and light colors, so all those light colored buff barred roo could still be single barred birds, but just light in color because of the characteristics of buff breeding in general...make sense ? I am not saying all the light colored are NOT double barred but I bet some are single barred even they are light in color. Buff doesn't like to play well, that is why the chicken calculator has " disclaimer/explanation of sorts" when breeding with buff.

Last edited:
The way I understand the genetics is you will never get a double barred pullet, girls can only carry 1 barring gene. Also, you have to remember that breeding buff(for this point breeding buff without the barring) you still get dark and light colors, so all those light colored buff barred roo could still be single barred birds, but just light in color because of the characteristics of buff breeding in general...make sense ? I am not saying all the light colored are NOT double barred but I bet some are single barred even they are light in color. Buff doesn't like to play well, that is why the chicken calculator has " disclaimer/explanation of sorts" when breeding with buff.
I so understand what you are saying. I also did an experiment this past month with the light (double barred?) roo in with the buff & buff barred hens. I'm not pleased with the results of my hatches. All the chicks seem very light & "most" (which I am assuming are cockerels) have some blk barring. I have replaced the roo & now am using this little guy. I haven't started hatching from him yet but I hope to see improvement in color & pattern in the next few months.

Thanks for all you info Steve, it is much appreciated~!

Fascinating reading! Thank you all for your input. I love to read all this since I have not studied barring. Anything I read from you all is great input for me to learn!

I found 2 eggs in the nest box yesterday, probably from the hen my friend let me borrow. I am setting those since it had not been cold here the past week and they did not freeze. It is a small beginning since she is actually now in with the buff rooster because of ill tempers from the other girls with Dynamite. But this is hopefully a bit of blood diversity for more breeding birds in my foundation.

love.gif

Got some more pics of Peanut Butter and Honey today. They were quite happy coming inside from spending the day outdoors to find there coop had been cleaned. I just set there first batch of eggs this morning!!! I'm not sure how many I set of theres. I think 6 but will have to re-check.

Back
Top Bottom