Buff Brahma one swollen eye

chandrahoffman

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 26, 2013
My son's favorite chicken, our beloved Buff Brahma (9 months old) woke up with a swollen eye this morning. I took some photos. Only swollen on one side (the other one is in pictures for comparison.) I am reading some scary stuff on here about diseases that could cause this. She is otherwise fine. How long would you go for wait and see method of treatment?

If I saw this in my chicken, I would look for any peck wound around the eye, and any symptoms of a respiratory disease such as watery eyes, nasal drainage, and sneezing or gurgles/rattles while breathing. MG, coryza, and ILT could be possible causes. I would isolate the chicken if possible, and give Tylan 50 injections 1 ml given 1/4 inch into the breast muscle once a day for 3 days. Alternate sides every day. I would also put some Terramycin, plain Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment into the eye twice a day.If no further symptoms occur, and the swelling goes down, then I would place him back into the flock. These respiratory diseases can be very mild, and you won't see it again, or it can be very bad with the whole flock affected with a terrible disease, making everyone carriers. Bringing in new birds who are carriers, or wild birds can be a source. MG is very common in backyard flocks. Here are some links to read: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://umaine.edu/livestock/poultry/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-faq/

Last edited:
Thank you, this is really helpful. Today is no better, no worse, but nothing noticeable with her breathing/eating/laying patterns. I don't have TSC near here but will call my vet about Tylan tomorrow. I've been doing neosporin, just in case that will help, on the affected eye. What do you think about benadryl, in case it is allergy based?

Also, is the fact that it is only on one eye any hopeful indicator that it might not be MG or Coryza? I REALLY dread those options.

Back
Top Bottom