Buff Brahma Question

Kimmyk80

Songster
Jul 16, 2019
At what age do Buff Brahma cockerels usually start to develop their combs and wattles? Mine buffs are 4 mos old and nine show any signs of comb or wattle development.

Buff Brahmas are slower to feather out and develop, generally speaking, so I would not be concerned. Are you sure you have boys? I have never had a male so I cannot for sure say when they start roostering for sure. They do have small combs and wattles, though.

I thought I had 3 pullets and one cockerel, but yesterday one of my friends who is a chicken man, said they are all pullets...which would not be a bad thing.

At 4 months cockerels should be obvious. Larger and redder combs and wattles. Male specific saddle feathers. Also Buff Brahma males have a dark red/orange wing bar that the females will not have.

None have any signs of combs or wattles, but I have one that looks to have the dark orange wings. I tried to get pics of the one I thought was a cockerel, but he won’t be still long enough. I’ll try to get one to post.

At 4 months cockerels should be obvious. Larger and redder combs and wattles. Male specific saddle feathers. Also Buff Brahma males have a dark red/orange wing bar that the females will not have.

772F211D-DC0C-45E4-8A95-913AB2D182C3.jpeg
2AAC336A-0499-411E-804D-7ABD88B82F6E.jpeg
Here are a few I was able to get

None have any signs of combs or wattles, but I have one that looks to have the dark orange wings. I tried to get pics of the one I thought was a cockerel, but he won’t be still long enough. I’ll try to get one to post.

Here are a few I was able to get

That's a pullet. She doesn't have the standard wingbars of dark orange a cockerel would have.

If nothing else, at 16 weeks, cockerels will have their male saddle feathers, and the females will have theirs.
Saddle Feathers.jpg

That's a pullet. She doesn't have the standard wingbars of dark orange a cockerel would have.

If nothing else, at 16 weeks, cockerels will have their male saddle feathers, and the females will have theirs.
View attachment 1897051

Agreed. That one is a pullet. Cockerel wing bars are on the upper wing "shoulder" and much darker. I'd say you've got all pullets then.

Back
Top Bottom