Buff Brahma X Buff Orpington - Unique chick!

Helios, my buff brahma, was from a supposedly high quality hatchery, but I got him from someone local....
As for the mother, it could have been any of my ten hens, including one of Helios' first daughters. I'm not able to get a picture of them right now, but they are Tractor Supply Buff Orpingtons.

So you have some number of Buff Orpingtons, and one hen that is a cross of Buff Brahma and Buff Orpington.

Any other hens than those kinds?
Do you have pictures of your hens? (Tractor Supply has been known to mis-label chickens, so I wonder if one or another of them is really a different breed.)

From what you've said, and the pictures, I currently think Freya might be the daughter of Helios & his daughter, so 3/4 Brahma.

Being 3/4 Brahma would explain why she's got a smaller comb and smaller wattles than the other one you showed, and would also explain the "brown markings" she had as a chick--it's common for Buff Brahma chicks to have some markings on them.

But I still don't have any good explanation for the white on her, which is the most obvious difference :D

Last edited:
The fact that her mom could be a mix and not one of the Orpingtons is curious to me, I've been just kinda stalking and putting the stuff into the chicken generator- http://kippenjungle.nl/breeds/crossbreeds.html (I input the sire as a light brahma, changed the silver to gold because as far as im aware thats what buff bramhas are, golden columbian, and the dam as the orpington, buff; just as listed in the breed list)

First generation cross is uninteresting genetically, golden birds. BUT if theres a chance her mom is one of the crossed birds (BOxBB) bred back to Helios (which you can do in the calculator, when you calculate the first generation just hit "continue with this hen" on one of the daughters and calculate the breedings again) it gives a much wider range of results.

Is she one of these diluted/cream birds? No idea. Is she Leucistic? No idea. Is she a Chimera possible literally half light brahma half buff? No idea although seems a little less likely? One things certain I'd LOVE for you to breed more second generation chicks, Helios x his daughters. She may molt and lose colour, or molt and gain colour, who knows! I'd love to see her in a few months as well as some more chicks ;D

So you have some number of Buff Orpingtons, and one hen that is a cross of Buff Brahma and Buff Orpington.

Any other hens than those kinds?
Do you have pictures of your hens? (Tractor Supply has been known to mis-label chickens, so I wonder if one or another of them is really a different breed.)

From what you've said, and the pictures, I currently think Freya might be the daughter of Helios & his daughter, so 3/4 Brahma.

Being 3/4 Brahma would explain why she's got a smaller comb and smaller wattles than the other one you showed, and would also explain the "brown markings" she had as a chick--it's common for Buff Brahma chicks to have some markings on them.

But I still don't have any good explanation for the white on her, which is the most obvious difference :D
3 older crosses, actually, it was an unplanned hatching 😂

I have had orpingtons for a long time, and I am positive that all my hens are orps. I'm sorry, but they are difficult to photograph, since they are free range across four acres. But, they have the classic combs, correct beak and leg color, and the classic fluffy butt :p

3rd generation makes sense to me, and I am a little sad to have gotten rid of her father. However, I am planning on introducing a blue australorp rooster next spring.

The fact that her mom could be a mix and not one of the Orpingtons is curious to me, I've been just kinda stalking and putting the stuff into the chicken generator- http://kippenjungle.nl/breeds/crossbreeds.html (I input the sire as a light brahma, changed the silver to gold because as far as im aware thats what buff bramhas are, golden columbian, and the dam as the orpington, buff; just as listed in the breed list)

First generation cross is uninteresting genetically, golden birds. BUT if theres a chance her mom is one of the crossed birds (BOxBB) bred back to Helios (which you can do in the calculator, when you calculate the first generation just hit "continue with this hen" on one of the daughters and calculate the breedings again) it gives a much wider range of results.

Is she one of these diluted/cream birds? No idea. Is she Leucistic? No idea. Is she a Chimera possible literally half light brahma half buff? No idea although seems a little less likely? One things certain I'd LOVE for you to breed more second generation chicks, Helios x his daughters. She may molt and lose colour, or molt and gain colour, who knows! I'd love to see her in a few months as well as some more chicks ;D
Thank you for doing such a deep dive! I'm having trouble working the site myself, but perhaps I'll have better luck on a computer, and with a working mouse.

Unfortunately, this was Helios' last batch, and he has been retired, next phase is a blue australorp rooster. When I figure out that site, I will hopefully see what Freya will produce with him XD

I'm studying Albinism, & leucism, in chickens. She looks like a good example of a leucistic chicken. Vitiligo is a similar looking condition to PieBaldism. But are different.

What does her skin color look like? Is it patchy?

It maybe possible that she maybe just carrying Dominant White, giving her that unusual pattern.

Just need to rule stuff out before making a full determination on what's going on with your bird.

Can I see what the parents look like?
So, I did my best to check out her skin through that dense winter feathering, and the majority of it was a consistent pink, but with occasional darker sections. I'm not sure if they are pigment or bloodflow, but here is the best picture I was able to get:
20210109_190618.jpg

You will have to zoom in, but there is both pink and the darker area there.

Thank you for doing such a deep dive! I'm having trouble working the site myself, but perhaps I'll have better luck on a computer, and with a working mouse.

Unfortunately, this was Helios' last batch, and he has been retired, next phase is a blue australorp rooster. When I figure out that site, I will hopefully see what Freya will produce with him XD

So, I was able to check out and work that site, and I am very interested in those cream dilutes that pop in the third generation :D That seems a very likely explanation for her coloring, even if I don't fully understand why it appears, nor does it explain her lovely bronze neck.

Her neck and head coloring is actually what has confused me the most, since Brahma hens simply don't get that coloring, only the roosters do. She has the exact shade of red-gold that her father has :) It is precious :)

The site indicates that a blue covering her will produce 50/50 blue and black, just like her sister's, so nothing really exciting there :)

So, I did my best to check out her skin through that dense winter feathering, and the majority of it was a consistent pink, but with occasional darker sections. I'm not sure if they are pigment or bloodflow, but here is the best picture I was able to get:
View attachment 2483225

You will have to zoom in, but there is both pink and the darker area there.
Is that her back, then I'd say it looks patchy.

I have a Split Sex-Linked Albino rooster. He has bright pink, & white patches on his skin.
Recently I learned that not all Albinos have pale, or pink pupils. And many Albinos are being incorrectly being labeled as leucistic.

Sex-Linked Albinism is considered incomplete Albinism, it still allows color leakage in some portions of the body.

Back
Top Bottom