Buff Colombian Orpington Bantam: Anyone working on a project?

Quote:
Have you seen how big Greenfire Sussex are in person? They would probably think little bantam Orps are just little bugs and try to eat them, lol. And the poor little Orp hens would be smashed if a Big Sussex roo did try to breed her. Speckled Sussex are smaller and easier to get than Buff Sussex, and Speckeld Sussex are Red Columbian, so by the time you keep breeding back to the Buff Orps for smaller size, you should have picked up the Columbian base from the Sussex and diluted it to Buff Columbian by then.

I have successfully mated LF roos to tiny bantam hens (some roos were 3 to 4 times the size of the bantam hens and they did just fine.) I had not thought of using a Speckled Sussex instead but that may work better. Now that you mention it I think Hinkjc crossed SS to BO and got birds that looked to be on their way to a buff columbian. I love this forum so many good ideas.

Yep, hinkic used a SS roo on LF BO hens and the F1s looked kinda like NHReds, Which I believe is a Columbian based color as well.

Quote:
I do plan to start working with bantam Orpingtons as well and do a few different colors, and I may even accidentallu produce Buff Columbians in the process, it make take me a little while to get some first. I'll be getting Blue Bantam Orps from a show breeder when I get some Barred Rocks from him, but once I get started, I would be willing to help out.

I can't afford to start with a hundred and cull down. So will start where I can and move forward. If someone else accidently gets a Buff Colombian Orpington Bantam, I would hope to get some of their bloodline. It may hurry my project along.

Same here, I will be doing what I can with what little I hatch, I don't have room for a whole pile of bantams everywhere to cull down. But I'll keep you in mind when I get started and we may be able to share some stock.

BTW Where will you be getting your BO bantams from?

I have some just this week from Ideal poultry and will be getting some hatching eggs April 3rd from Danny Padgett. May have to cull heavy with the Ideal birds, or may not. Will wait and see.

Yeah, I'm staying away from the hatchery bantams. I was planning on getting hatching eggs from Danny too. Please let me know how those go.

Quote:
Have heard good and bad about Ideal's quality. Figured if nothing else, will have some pretty layers. But wanted to see. Will let you know on the quality and type. Am sure Danny's will be good. Just found him after I placed my order to Ideal.

Back
Top Bottom