Buff gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RichardK, Jul 14, 2016.

1. RichardK

RichardK Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    I picked up 7 buff chicks unsexed. My thoughts are that (from left to right) it is roo-hen-roo-hen-roo-hen. And another hen hiding behind. Any thoughts? Sorry for bad pick
    [​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

How old?

3. arlenena

arlenena Just Hatched

Jun 18, 2016
    Texas
    You probably have a roo or two but hard to say. My roo started a comb at 2 weeks before others so can't say since age is not mentioned. Great picture though....

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    looks like all pullets but, need to know age first

5. RichardK

RichardK Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    They are about 12 weeks I think. Old enough to crow, as I have heard one a few times
    City bylaws say I am aloud 6 hens. Currently I have 7 buffs, and 5 silkies lol, so I really cannot have complaints about noise

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  6. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    The one on the far left is a little roo for sure and probably your crower as he's got the most colour in his comb and wattles. On your suspects see if you can spot any saddle feathers coming through. They are the ones at the base of the tail. They will look skinny and pointy but they may be a bit young yet to show these. Sometimes Orpingtons can be difficult to sex - they like to keep you guessing!

7. arlenena

arlenena Just Hatched

Jun 18, 2016
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    Here is a pic of our two at 3 weeks. You can clearly tell the roo. We aren't allowed to keep them either so need to find him a home before the crowing starts.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

At 12 weeks, looks like you got very lucky. I'd say your only cockerel is the fella in the far back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by